Thursday, May 1, 2008

the ruffle dress



The dress I made to coordinate with the bunny doll in the previous post is from McCall's Easy Stitch 'N Save M5369. The ubiquitous 'Easy' label has fooled me before, but I was in love with the photo of the smiling cherub in her sweet ruffly girly confection. I thought, 'how hard could it be?'.

Well, it was a bit of an education. As soon as I cut out the size 3 yoke I thought it looked pretty wide. So I tried it on my five year old, and it swallowed her shoulders. So I took a full two inches out of the pattern width in each pattern piece, which was a long and tricky process. However, I'm happy with how it turned out. It is a really cute dress, if you don't examine the inside of mine too closely.

(if you have a serger, and can do a rolled hem instead of the time-consuming narrow hem at the bottom of each circular flounce, this pattern would be a whole lot faster to assemble)

The little girl it was made for is blonde and ever so girly, and her favorite color is yellow. As soon as she tried it on, she ran to get her coordinating yellow mary janes. She is only just turning 3 this month. Now, that is my kind of gal.

7 comments:

  1. Larissa, that dress is adorable!! You're doing such great work... no surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't find this pattern. Has it gone out of print? I found M6270 but it's not the exact dress. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TGM, I bought mine in 2008, so it might be discontinued. I'd suggest looking for it on etsy.com or eBay.com.

      Delete
  3. I made this dress also-- I agree -- it looks good as long as you don't examine the inside! It was big on my husbands granddaughter -- who was 2--I made the size 2-- I've never seen her in person though-- now I'm making pattern # M6017-- in a 3 for her for next year as it is cold now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this dress, and I was inspired to make a version of it for my granddaughter. I love how it came out and can't wait to see her in it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it done on an a-line cut skirt pc or gathered ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sanaa, the underskirt is an A-line shape and the ruffles are half circles, as near as I can remember.

      Delete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!