Thursday, June 12, 2008

hot. as. fire.







So Robyn and I braved the waves of flame-like heat to attend the Indie Craft Experience at Centennial Olympic Park this past weekend. I slathered myself with SPF 50. And I still got sunburned. We spent 20 precious craft-buying dollars on various beverages. Did I mention it was hot?

Despite the heat, we had a blast, and it was so cool to see so many friendly and talented (if a bit wilted) crafters all in one spot. We got lots of swag, like sewing and decor mags, mod podge, and paint (and a free swag bag!) and made some really great purchases, not to mention garnering a boatload of creative inspiration.

One of the more entertaining things we did was donate $5 to charities and in turn got to stencil our own T-shirts (in the top photo, it's the blue bird holding scissors on the olive t-shirt). That was surprisingly fun, and I'm really tempted to go out and buy some fabric paint and try out those freezer paper stencils I read so much about.

I bought a really cool necklace from SuperCute (see in photo above), and Robyn got some great jewelry I was appropriately jealous of and plan to haunt Etsy for soon.

We also both got a year's subscription to Craft mag, which I'll be so happy to see in the mail.

We also had a Threadbangers sighting. I had been chatting with these two affable folks in their tent and signing up for their Janome sewing machine raffle, before clueing in that these are the stars of the Threadheads videos I've seen on the Craft blog.

We plan to go next year, but Robyn did hint gently to the organizers that a less lethal month might be preferable.

2 comments:

  1. So jealous!! I'm going to have to plan my vacations better in the future. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my heat rash is about healed up. Good times...

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!