Friday, July 25, 2008
Well, the little project that was living in my head for a while is finally a completed reality. I love the end result! It is destined for our mantel. Each clothing item on the line represents a member of our family.
Finishing it took a lot longer than originally intended, because I got distracted with other urgent projects that had actual deadlines, and also because my diorama muse went on vacation. Don't you hate it when that happens?
The end result uses less paper and more fabric than I originally envisioned, and the little clothes are all a bit more elaborate than my first idea. I cut off the ends of toothpicks for the clothespins and used embroidery floss for the clothesline. The trees are actually brown corduroy, which is really hard to tell from the photos. I rescued a clear plastic package from the garbage (how very green of me, ha) after I realized it was a goldmine for cutting out non-visible supports for some items (like the birds) and for making the clothes appear like they are blowing in the breeze. I'm not pleased that the clothesline doesn't hang in a symmetrical curve, because the daddy shirt is heavier than the others. I may be compulsive enough to open it up and weigh down the orange dress to compensate, but we'll see.
It was really fun to make, but I'm glad it is finished!
(note: I find I am dissatisfied with the birdies. I'd like to make them more 3D looking.)