Monday, July 14, 2008

vintage quilt fabric

I (lucky gal that I am) inherited several quilts from my side and my husband's side of the family. I think it is important to use them, so I have them out on a rack to cuddle with in the evenings on the couch, and I've been known (gasp) to use them for picnic blankets and tablecloths.

I find myself staring at the fabric quite a bit (strange, I know), trying to imagine how happy I'd be if I could just find fabric like that available to buy. Thought I'd share some vintage fabric goodness with you.

It has this nicely weird cool maroon toile as the backing and binding (above). I just realized I have no idea who made this. If I had to guess, my mom's mom did.

This quilt is so cheerful. It is an amazing mishmash of random fabrics, and I can't help but feel I'd be incapable of recreating this kind of look because I waaaay overthink fabric combinations. I was intrigued by a quilting method I saw online recently that involves throwing your scraps in a bag and blindly choosing them (sorry, I have no idea where I saw this). Maybe I need a method like that so I can just let go of the reins and let it happen.

I wish I had yards and yards of all these old school fabrics. I am really happy that the vintage look is back and can be found in lots of new fabric lines, but there's nothing like the real thing, is there?


  1. My mom always tells us that she wouldn't make us anything if she didn't was it to be used. Now you see where some of my practical side comes from.

  2. Quilts are the best. I need to buy the fabric to make Chloe's quilt, but I have kind of been dragging my feet. I'm not sure my sewing machine will make it through another quilt. I like the idea of the random picking of fabric squares. I would love to try one someday when I get enough scraps. I also want to take all of Curt's race t-shirts and make a quilt out of their graphics for him.

  3. I love this quilt! I've always wanted one, but I haven't had the money to get a "real" one yet. I should really just make myself one...


Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!