Wednesday, August 6, 2008

sewy owl



I had another little shadow box from Ikea to fill, and I decided to do something quick because I had some folks coming to my house and I didn't want to have an empty shadow box on my mantel. A looming deadline really fuels creativity. Or gives birth to mediocrity. Maybe both.

Anyhoo (hey that's a clever pun) I decided to do an owl, since I like them and they are easy. I thought I'd make it a 'sewy owl' (get it) since I love all things to do with sewing. I stuffed the owl, gave it button eyes, put pins in it and gave it a sewing ruler perch to sit on. I also added some safety pin eyebrows.

The results might be lame, I can't decide. What's not lame is the background paper. I love that stuff. It is Martha Stewart wrapping paper. However, it is a big pain to work with because it is in such a tight little roll that I have to grapple with it to cut it and then I have to iron it for a while to get it to lay down.


At first I gave the owl much cuter big brown eyes (above), but I found that bothered me a bit in my living room. I didn't think 'adorable' blended well with the other stuff in there. So I redid that part.

Now I'm not sure I like it at all. Oh, well. It will reside there until I can think of something cool(er) to replace it. Or, more typical for me, I'll stare at it for so long that resignation and acceptance will set in.

21 comments:

  1. Way cute! (I do have to admit that I like the first eyes better.) I really need to check out Ikea sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, even I admit it was cuter with the first eyes, just too cute for my living room? I know that makes zero sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I think I understand. IMO, not too cute for the living room, but that is obviously a totally subjective decision. I do like both versions. Good luck deciding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So when you replace it... can I have it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. chels, I simply must make you something. mustn't I?

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmIkea...

    You know, that would look just right hanging in my craft room above my patchwork tree, wouldn't it? I'm just sayin'. (really, really cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely darling - would you be willing to share your pattern??

    ReplyDelete
  8. annemarie,
    yes, I'd be willing, if there were a pattern! ha! I'll see if I have the file where I drew out the ovals for sizing, other than that, it wouldn't be hugely helpful.
    If you are interested in that, let me know an email address.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like both sets of eyes!

    I also *LOVE* your Molly Monkey pattern and I'll be including it in today's Daily DIY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Larissa - My email is a.haun@sbcglobal.net - any help you can give me would be wonderful. I have no art talent but do sew. My daughter is a teacher and her school mascot is the owl. These ideas are so perfect. I just discovered your blog today - absolutely love it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. annemarie,
    I emailed the guide, so happy owly crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How is it that I love all your posts??? But this one amazes me soooo much!!!!!!
    Amazingly pretty owl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is just way creative! Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness. Absolutely adorable! I think I *need* to make something like that for my new sewing room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is adorable! Would you be willing to share the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kukuvaya, I'll be glad to email you the template for the owl. It's pretty minimal and there are no instructions, but it could help. Let me know your email address.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is soo cute! I love owls! Can you email me the template?

    My email is chloemaed723@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I randomly came across this and I absolutely love it! So very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love owls too - this one is a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cute but then i am a bit parital to owls :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so awesome. I was wondering if you could send a template for the owl?? My email is gsh8@sfu.ca. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!