Wednesday, September 24, 2008

baby kimono, check


I've had Habitual's baby kimono on my 'tutorials I'd like to try' list for a long while, and now I can finally check it off. I made this for a baby shower gift, size 0-6 mos. The tutorial was great, and I'm proud of the result. I used a snap instead of another tie inside, and next time I'm going to lengthen that side of the kimono so the snap goes under the arm. Thanks, Habitual!

I thought the lil' kimono needed a pair of matching pants, so I trolled around on the web until I found this newborn pants pattern from Beesnest.org. I used 13 inches instead of 12 inches of elastic around the waist (12 just looked so impossibly tiny, but what do I know? Both my babies were 9 lbs when they were born), and I shortened the pants quite a bit to make them more cropped. Thanks, Beesnest!

After making those, I discovered kid's pants are just about the easiest thing to sew in the entire universe. I need to get crackin' and sew some for my daughters.

11 comments:

  1. So cute! I think I might try to make matching (or coordinating) Christmas pjs for my kids this year. That will probably be the first chance I have to try my hand at making clothes.

    I just have to say that I really look forward to Mon and Wed mornings! I love your posts and your pics are always so perfectly lit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. adorable! Love the blue wall against that pink, great fabric choice by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olivia, thanks. I have really loved doing the blog too.
    Hey, what about friday posts? no good? :-)
    can't wait to see the christmas pjs.

    Katie, thanks. I love their blue room. sometimes I wish the whole house were that color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's adorable!! The kimono looks perfect!
    I'm so anxious about getting myself a sewing machine so I can try to make some baby clothes too!

    Always happy here when you post something new! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just adorable. I love to make kids pants because they are so easy. I feel like I have accomplished something and it didn't take much time at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need to get the sewing machine going again. Just don't have the energy right now. Maybe the week the girls are gone?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!
    So cute!

    I love it, so glad you enjoyed the pattern! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's super gorgeous! Well done, larissa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so cute! I love the fabric you chose and the brown trim.

    ReplyDelete
  10. larissa,
    Do you know every time I come and visit you,
    I look at my sewing machine with loving eyes thinking..." AH! If only I knew how to use you"
    THANK YOU FOR MAKING ME DREAM!
    the kimono is DARLING!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for the sweet comments, everyone. Art scrap, get on that machine! It isn't that hard. Opens a whole new world! (like you need more crafts to do!)
    Jessica, you mean the week the girls will be gone and YOU WILL HAVE A NEWBORN? you are a real woman. you put me to shame. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!