Wednesday, September 3, 2008

fabric covered bulletin boards


I wanted a wall of bulletin boards in my school room without having the pesky wooden frames to hinder my pin poking. I decided to DIY the thing by going to Ikea and purchasing several cheap bulletin boards.

My husband popped off the wooden framing for me (this was trickier than I thought because of these really stubborn corner-shaped staples in the wood)) and then I grabbed my hot glue gun and stretched my new green/white Ikea fabric over each one and glued it in the back.

I loved the result. And the cost for this solution was very minimal. I think the bulletin boards were less than $5 a piece, and the fabric was around $6/yard.

Have I mentioned how much I LOVE Ikea? I have? Oh. Well, that's ok.

8 comments:

  1. I love Ikea too, and I have thought many times about the bulletin boards but I always have the doubt of what to do with the frame. Thanks for the idea! I know it's not a big deal but didn't think I could take the frame out, lol... I know; silly, silly! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those look really great. I love the wavy stripes. It's art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you don't work outside the home, but I may have to convince you to decorate my apartment!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way cool! I love the wave in that project! You could make a really cool triptych with these! I'll be linking to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks guys! angela, that idea intrigues me. can I have an unlimited budget and complete carte blanche? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought about doing something like that before...now That I see how fabulous yours are I want to have a go at it even more!
    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to do this for my office/sewing room. I'm in dire need of an inspiration board. Love how yours turned out.

    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I'm slowing getting into creating original designs and I find great satisfaction in it. I have a degree in graphic design and I love being able to merge those skills with my new love of sewing. Thanks for the encouraging words, I'm definitely going to keep at it :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have read about doing something like that in magazines and books but your fabric really makes the idea fresh and modern. i need to use this idea for my kitchen desk. great job!

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!