Wednesday, September 10, 2008

in which I make a boatload of bias tape.

Great Scott. All this bias tape out of only a half yard of fabric. So I started out just wanting about 30 inches or so of bias tape to trim a little baby shower gift I was working on. Then I thought, didn't I see a tutorial once on how to get a lot of bias tape from not a lot of fabric? I just hate cutting across fabric at a 45 degree angle -- all that waste. But I also loathe having to miter bias tape together, which is what you have to do a lot of if you don't cut right across the widest part of your yardage.

So I found this helpful tutorial from The Dread Pirate Rodgers for making bias tape by sewing a parallelogram into a tube and cutting it up. I randomly picked half a yard to work with, because I thought, I hate making bias tape. So what if I had leftovers, that'd be another cute bias trimmed project I could do. And also I avoid doing math at all costs.

I now have 344 (continuous) inches of bias tape.

The whole irony is after sweating through the tutorial (not that it is a bad tutorial, I was just nervous about possibly screwing up some of my favorite fabric) I didn't end up using any of this on the project. Just not enough contrast.

But I highly recommend Dread Pirate Rodgers' ingenius method. Try it for yourself. And look for this bias tape on every project I make for the next few months.


  1. That's hysterical! I can't imagine what I would do with 344 inches! I love the fabric though. :)

  2. Sweet! I have two quilt projects in the line up, so this is perfect. Thanks!

  3. I am going to use this method!! Thanks for the tip!

  4. I attempted this and just couldn't seem to get it right. I was using a smaller piece of scrap white cloth so it wasn't a big deal. But the widths kept being inconsistent and it all appeared to be with the grain as opposed to bias. Any tips? (other than don't try it at 2 am when you are madly trying to finish Christmas presents on December 23rd?)

  5. sarah, I have no great insight to offer. I will say that I found when marking it up, it took all the skill I had developed in college (when a lot of graphic design was done manually) to mark it all accurately and draw the rules nicely parallel to each other. If you mark it up really carefully, you'll be more likely to have success.


Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!