Friday, September 19, 2008

lesser known eschers

Delft, 'Voldersgracht met toren van het Stadhuis'

'Daken van Delft', Houtsnede 1939

'Puddle', 1952

I have always loved M.C. Escher's work. Big deal, everyone does, right? Well, last year I was tremendously lucky and got to spend a week in the Netherlands with my friends, Rich and Robyn. While touring Den Haag for a day, I visited Escher en het Paleis (Escher museum located in fantastic Lange Voorhout Palace), and was amazed to see the heretofor unknown range of his work.

He is best known for his mind-blowing tessellations and 'impossible' compositions, but I was blown away by his earlier work in landscapes and cityscapes. Thought I'd treat you to my favorite pieces from the museum. These scans just do not do justice to the intricate details of the original woodcuts.

The museum is well worth a visit if you happen to find yourself in The Netherlands:
Escher en het Paleis

5 comments:

  1. I love Escher too! As you said, everyone does, right? =)

    I have one book with his work and in there some of this early drawings. It's indeed beautifull...

    Kisses from sunny Rio

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these, too. Aaah, Delft. Thanks for bringing back some great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the middle one. Great balance of negative space, wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!