Monday, October 27, 2008

my take on Emily's doll




I decided to tackle a tute that's been on my list for ages, Emily's cute little Black Apple doll. I have a friend who just gave birth to twin girls, and I thought a pair of dolls to sit on the nursery shelf would be just the thing.

So of course I can't do it exactly how it is supposed to be done. Impossible. I'd feel cheated somehow if I didn't run into a major snag caused by my own doofusness.

I thought it would be neat to add pigtails. Plus elongate and curve the bodies to make them lean into one another. While I was at it, I thought it would be nice to have sleeves, and then I thought it would be even nicer to make the sleeves already part of the body/dress pattern piece so they wouldn't have to be tucked inside the body when I sewed it.


I got both dolls cut out (thankfully remembering to reverse one) and sewed up the first one and it was not good. She looked like she had these tiny, shriveled T-rex arms. And they weren't even the same length, thanks to my hurried pattern drawing. I kept pitching it to myself as adorable handmade quirkiness, but I just couldn't swallow it. I could see no way around a radical double amputation. Poor dolly.

So then I had to remake the arms and attach them to the outside, and this time I used the same pattern size as for the legs to avoid Shrunkenappendageitus, and this worked fine. And then of course I had to make the other doll to match, so it would look intentional.

I think somewhere along the way I must've missed the fact that the Black Apple doll pattern does not include seam allowance? Mine looks skinnier than some others I've seen posted, and I was using like barely 1/8th" seam. But I still love them. I'll be making more in the future. Thanks, Emily!

29 comments:

  1. So cute! Love the pigtails and that they lean into each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are sooo sweet.. love their faces.. and especially the pigtails with the buttons.. great.... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your black apple twin dollies! So chic and fashionable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so wonderful! Perhaps my favourite of all the black apple dolls I have seen - that fabric choice is perfect and what a truly lovely gift to receive

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so cute! I love your take on the pattern. I did the same thing as you with the limbs when I made one for my daughter.

    I watched the video after I made it and realized that I was supposed to trace the pattern onto fabric, sew on the line, and then cut it out. My dd's doll was already sewn, so she just has really skinny arms and legs.

    You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks, everybody! Tara, I clued into the 'sew along the lines' thing after a saw a similar comment to yours on the Sew Mama Sew forum. duh! I watched that video, but it was so long ago I didn't remember those instructions. Live and learn...
    but I kinda like the skinny look too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOUR WORK IS ALWAYS FANTASTIC AND SO INSPIRING! lOVE THE PIGTAILS!
    THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are so PERFECT! What a wonderful gift to receive. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those turned out so sweet! I love their long eyelashes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! these are to divine! I think I want to just grab them and run! My fav's Ive seen of this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So very cute! I did the same thing with the arms, almost couldn't stuff the first ones I did. I love how you changed it to make them your own.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you've done an amazing job on these two gorgeous girls! I love the fabrics you've chosen and the pigtails look great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, thanks, y'all! (cheeks glowing from praise) Now that I have the kinks worked out, I can make more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So very cute! Perfect for twins. It's so sweet how they lean into each other.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your blog. I've linked you to my blog since you're so talented and a fellow "Georgian". Im in Athens. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are so sweet! Would you mind sharing which type of paint you used for the faces?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Molly, sure! I used a fabric marker for the eyes and nose and mouth. For the blush, I used one of my daughter's colored pencils. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those little dollies are so darn cute!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE these!!!! Last year I tried making some 'wacky' versions of these *grimances* but they didn't turn out very well....
    Yours are amazing though, you're great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super cute! How did you do the pigtails?

    ReplyDelete
  21. How did you attach the arms?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, Toby and Rouleau,
    The pigtails are double layers of felt sewn in when you sew the doll together. The arms are sewn on after the doll is stuffed, back and forth with a long doll needle.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So, five years later I was searching for images of the black apple doll, because I am frankensteining four different patterns together to make a doll tonight. So, I googled black apple doll and by far the cutest picture on there was this one. And I was like, Hey, those pigtails are perfect! And then I clicked through and found myself here. Of course. I would expect nothing less than the cutest picture on the internet to belong to you. Pigtails will be adorable, thanks to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinksuedeshoe, ha ha! You are so nice. I'm glad the photo could inspire. I sure enjoyed making those. Pigtails do add a little sumpn sumpn. Love to see your frankendoll when it's done so send me a picture or hey, here's an idea post it on your blog. :-) I'm sure it will be awesome!

      Delete
    2. HA! Blog post... I think if I was picking superpowers it would be for blog posts to just be able to download from my brain, pictures and all. If I see it and think it then it posts! OK, who do I talk to about getting that arranged.... ;)

      Delete
    3. That's a great idea. Let me know when you get that figured out.

      Delete
  24. LOVE these!! I've been exploring and pinning lots of Black Apple dolls but these are among the cutest!!!! Just curious - did you embroider the facial features? Or paint them on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, M! These particular dolls have faces that are drawn on with fabric marker.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the quick reply! This gives me hope! I am much better with a marker than I am with embroidery thread!

      Delete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!