Monday, October 13, 2008

remarkable self restraint.





I got an email from Fabric.com to tell me their warehouse was having its annual zip-bang-boom super duper clearance sale this past Saturday. And it is only an 45 minutes away from where I live. So, duh!

I think I practiced remarkable self restraint. I mean, they were selling fabric by the pound. Me and my friend Amanda got there within 10 minutes or so of the doors opening. We passed two women in the parking lot who warned us they took one look in the door, saw the melee, and left. Since openly scoffing them seemed impolite, we just thanked them and went in.

Already the entire warehouse was teeming with steely-eyed women elbow deep in the big fabric piles, feverishly filling the kind of industrial-sized canvas tubs you only see in prison laundry scenes.

I waded right in and really enjoyed it. There was this exciting feeling, like any moment you would uncover a huge stash of Tula Pink selling for $3 a pound. I didn't find anything like that, just a few very small pieces of Amy Butler's, but I did see other women protectively hording some designer fabrics. Apparently next year I need to be the first in the door.

I got a lot of fabric I love, and also fabric I wouldn't normally buy, like linen, fur, and knits, so I can experiment and learn. Knits scare me.

And then we couldn't just drive by the exit for Ikea* without going, so of course I had to buy some cool fabric there too. I absolutely positively resolve not to buy more fabric for a while.

*the Ikea fabrics are top photo, far left, and bottom photo, far left.

12 comments:

  1. Is the first fabric on the upper left from Ikea (warm grey with touches of mustard and grey blue with the fabulous bold print)? LOVE that one, I so wish we had an Ikea near by...I hear there is one coming to Denver, SO exciting! Great fabric all around, have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for describing the trip there!, lol...
    I received also the email and thought how fun would it be to be there and see all the fabric blots! Your description like the jail in films was so fun!; lol...
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you found some nice goodies! I especially like the bold stripes. I have a thing for stripes lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, yes, that is the Ikea. Also the fabric in the bottom photo, far left. The top one was only $7 per yard (decor weight and width), and the bottom one was only $4.99 for a precut package that had 3 yards of fabric! There were other patterns too. It is so hard to restrain myself while I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, does 'a while' mean one week or two? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't realize you could shop at fabric.com's warehouse. Ugh, I wish I knew about the sale! Although I did go to Joann's and get a ton of fabric that was on sale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your fabrics are beautifull!!
    I experienced a fabric boom this month. They are so pretty... couldn't resist.

    :D

    Kisses from Brazil!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just thought I'd let you know that finding your blog and having a look around has been a real highlight of my day today. Beautiful! Inspiring! You're very talented and I'll be visiting again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. mary, welcome! and thank you. Looking forward to hearing from you again.

    koala brains (that name cracks me up!), as far as I know, you can't shop at their warehouse. They only open it for this special sale. Otherwise you have to buy online or over the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks. I added myself to their mailing list so I won't miss it next time. I live in the Atlanta area so it's not far of a drive for me. P.S. - koala brains is my name spell checked. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just stumbled across your blog - I gotta say I LOVE your "Stay Calm and Drink Coffee" sign.
    I can't get enough of the stuff.
    Must be why I'm so short - I'll bet it stunted my growth!
    Anyway, cute blog!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!