Wednesday, November 26, 2008

quilted christmas ornaments

Not really quilted, it just looks that way. My sister Leigh showed me how to make these, and one Christmas we got a little obsessed with them. It is addictive, and once you have the materials ready, it goes quickly.

This is a no sew project, even though it doesn't look it. All you need are styrofoam balls, ribbon, hot glue or fabritac, flat head straight pins (LOTS), ball head straight pins, and a bunch of little fabric squares. Most of the work is cutting your fabric squares (great use for your scraps or charm squares). Or if you are me, obsessing over which fabrics to use. My sister and I preferred the random fabric method, but you can make it look more symmetrical (and less time consuming) by using the same fabric for each tier.

I looked around for an existing tute because I didn't want to reinvent the wheel. I found this one, and it seems to be the only one out there (?). My sister and I used the same method she outlines.

I also found this pattern for sale on ebay by accident, if you find you need more details than the online tutorial provides. (Buy at your own risk, I can't vouch for the pattern because I haven't seen it!)

I'll say goodbye for now and I wish a very happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Americans. No new posts until next week. I plan on packing in as much turkey and sides as possible, and being very thankful to God for the countless blessings in my life. I'll also be enjoying time with family we don't see very often. And trying to sneak in some crafting. See you next week!


  1. I make these too! They are addictive! I have a tutorial that I sell on Etsy on how to make them .

  2. I messed up that link:

  3. Oh, those are so cute, Larissa!

    Happy thanksgiving to you! Enjoy your family time!

    Kisses from Brazil! ;)

  4. these are quite amazing! i don't quilt, so it all seems a mistery to me.
    oh, and i fell totally in love with your vikings! ferocious AND adorable! =)

  5. Hi, theannotatedlife, those vikings are super adorable, but unfortunately I cannot take a bit of credit for those, they are the genius creation of Sandra and Friederike! at

  6. Gorgeous! I've scheduled a link to this post to go live on my blog later this morning (Central USA time). I hope it brings you a few extra clicks.


  7. i love making these ornaments...they ARE addicting!

  8. These look great. I'm posting on Christmas decorations and crafts on my blog this week. I'd love to feature these with a link to your post, if that's okay.


Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!