Friday, December 19, 2008

holiday dresses, check



Hey, thanks everybody for all those birthday wishes! They really made my day. You guys are so nice! It was a stupendous day, starting off with breakfast made for me by Wonder Husband, and hugs, kisses and a card from my wee lasses, and ending with my present from Michael: tickets in January to the new Cirque Du Soleil 'Kooza' and a fancy schmancy dinner out, babysitting already arranged. Yessssss.

On to the actual Post Subject: I surprised myself by finishing the girls' christmas dresses! Yay me! True to form, I was stitching the bindings and buttons on the littlest one's mere moments before they were wearing them out to a holiday luncheon. I am so stinkin pleased with them! I stand in awe of the talented design mavens at Suger City Journal for coming up with this Village Frock. I just adore it.


I had earlier visions of making them from some black and white toile I've had in my sewing room for a few years, but I changed my mind after trolling around flickr and looking at the village frocks on display. Why hide that pretty gathered yoke and sleeves with a loud patterned fabric? The plainer the fabric, the better the dress looked. So I chose some lightweight denim I had bought, and I couldn't be happier. It doesn't scream 'Christmas' but that means they can wear it the rest of the winter.


Construction went really well, and the pattern is well-written and clear, and seems to be sized right on for my girls. I did add some additional length, and omitted one button on the size 4 dress. My only complaint is against myself, Time Management Cripple. I didn't allow myself enough lead time and that made for late nights and frazzled nerves.


So worth it, though. (Note, in order to have simultaneous smiles in the above picture, I had to resort to making rude bathroom noises. Apparently, dignity has no place in parenting)

I didn't really follow their instructions for the bindings, I have a no-crease, no-pain policy for those. I don't fold and iron my bias tape, and I don't usually pin it to sew. I just slap it on right sides together, sew the 1/4 inch seam, then flip it over, tuck under the raw edge, and sew again from the top side in the ditch. It is really easy and has cut down on the tantrums and bulging forehead veins in my craft studio.

I've just had a vision of the forlorn black and white toile as an A-line skirt for myself! And very unrealistic expectations of having it ready for this Sunday. Adding idea to pile...as I'm sure you can totally believe, I still have a bunch of ever-lovin' christmas gifts to make! Who needs sleep?

20 comments:

  1. Gorgeous dresses! I'm so crazy about that Sugar City pattern too...I need to get it one of these days.
    I have seen so many wonderful versions of the dress - the choice of fabric can mean so much.

    You chose the perfect fabrics for yours and the dresses look good on your beautiful girls. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those dresses are amazing!!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your two sweeties look so sweet and great in their handmade outfits! You're a wonder mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. absolutely beautiful! I love love love them!!! I have not attempted sewing clothes... but I really should give it a try. I think my girls would love it. You did a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE them! I think I may have to get that pattern for myself (well, for Chloe). Good job on finishing them in time for your holiday festivities.

    I have so much left to do, but have I pretty decent game plan. Now the trick is going to be sticking to it! I have finished my kids' Christmas pj's and one pair that I am giving as a gift. Just one pair left and a Molly-turned-puppy doll to make. (Plus baking and traveling and two sick kids.) I can do this...right?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your daughters look beautiful in those dresses! I especially like that they aren't too Christmasy...you'll get more wear out of them! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those dresses are delightful! As are the 2 little models wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. those dresses are so sweet. I may have to get that pattern! Your girls look so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soooooo adorable! (the girls and the dresses, of course!). :)
    A huge THANK YOU for the Molly Monkey pattern. I made them as Christmas gifts for my daughter and her best friend this year. They visited yesterday, so the girls got to open them early. They especially loved their names on them and decided to name their monkeys after themselves dubbing them "Adelle Monkey" and "Carmen Monkey". :)
    Pics on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love those darling dresses and I love that they are denim. They'd be cute with red tights, too! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. these look darling, larissa! good work. i'm with you on the binding bit. my mum taught me the fold & flatten as you go and it's done...snippety-snap. thanks for reminding me to dig out my village frock pattern & pinwhale cord from the WIP mountain on my desk. i had high hopes of having it ready for a party (in 3 days, no less) and until your note today...i had completely forgotten about it. thanks for the brain-jog :) blessings to you & yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those really did turn out beautiful. I have high hope of finishing one myself for my daughter and seeing everyone else's makes me want to make it sooner than later. What lovely dresses for Christmas and throughout the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are simply lovely - you should be proud! Congratulations on a project well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday!
    I've been subscribing your beautiful blog for a while and I simply love everything you make! These dresses..oh my goodness..they are seriously one of the cutest girls' clothing! I might have to get the same pattern and try it out. Thanks for inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everybody, thanks so much for all the love, and good luck to the several who are going to make a village frock, you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've recently discovered your blog and was reading over a bunch of you older posts. Did you ever make anymore progress on the pattern for the baby bunny you gave as a shower gift? She is awfully sweet.

    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  17. make me one... please? haha. you know, march will be here soon...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Firefly, I do have plans to make the bunny pattern available, but it won't be until around February, in plenty of time for Easter.

    Chels, you are out of luck. Only goes up to a size 6x.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh these dresses are phenomenal! Love the gathers! So lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just love this pattern, but they don't make it anymore, any Idea where I can get it or one similar?

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!