Monday, December 22, 2008

stink, stank, stunk!

I can't even be bothered to take a better picture of it.

dingety dangety doo doo!
Remember this, Saddest WIP of All? Well, I finally finished the flippety flappin' thing, which I was so stoked initially about, then got stymied over the sleeves, then got re-inspired to finish sleeveless (after my WIP post).

And of course it does not fit. Not even close. No way someone with my non-expert dressmaking skills (or serious lack of patience) could rip it apart and rectify matters either. Picture me standing in front of the mirror in it, absolutely crestfallen.

ARgh.

So, the Wise Woman might be asking, "Didn't you follow the measurement guide on the pattern cover?" Yes, I did, as a matter of stinkin' fact. Even though the dress size it pointed me to was horrifying.

The Wise Woman might also ask, ''Why didn't you try it on as you went, you eedgit? You know those things are not that accurate." Well, I did! And it seemed to be close to right. But I guess it is hard to really fit it on when you have no zipper in and no one to hold it together for you in the back.

The Wise Woman might also point out at this stage, "Well, don't you have one of those duct tape dress forms? Why didn't you utilize that?" Welllll, you see, it burst again and is currently in the WIPs-I-don't-like-to-look-at pile. So, no.

The Wise Woman would now (wisely) suggest I look on the bright side and take away some lesson learned for future dogged and pathetic attempts to sew myself some clothes.

So, ok. I learned how to sew princess seams. And also to do a bodice lining. Also that any dress that calls for a gathered skirt I can easily convert to one with a few big pleats (gathered waist skirts look ghastly on me). I learned that the sizing chart on the back has nothing to do with the actual size of the finished product, nor is it remotely in sync with the standard dress sizes I wear at the store. Understanding that will at least reduce the frustrating "Well, I followed the rules!" righteous-anger-factor in future trainwrecks. Also I learned that for whatever reason, easing a sleeve cap is beyond my human abilities, and to avoid that at all costs in the future. And lastly, I learned to be fervently, reverently and eternally thankful for readymade.

11 comments:

  1. I know your pain. I had a Christmas jumper flop. Puffy piece of plaid. Not good. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww... I'm so sorry this happened. I had this happen last summer with the cutest little polka dot dress. What's up with the measurements and sizing for patterns? It is a bit discouraging when you make something that already seems three sizes too big for you (number-wise) and then it's still too small! :( Big bummer. On the upside, the dress is super cute and you did a great job making it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a total bummer. I hate working so hard on something only to have it be a disaster! I also hate when the size a pattern has assigned to you seems wrong and insulting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. (((HUGS)))

    Ive sooo had sewing days like that!

    Alana @
    http://justniftythrifty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get it! It's so frustrating to work on something that ultimately doesn't fit!

    Your sewing skills are fine. The girls' dresses are great and your toys are spectacular. You just need a great pattern that fits YOU!

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours!

    Thanks for a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks you guys. you are all Peaches! i need some coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a linen dress that I tried to make from a Japanese pattern, it was too small as is, so I tried to resize it--measured, made a muslin, tried it on--I must have reworked and resewn that thing four five times and it still doesn't fit right. It's hanging in the back of my closet in the hopes it (or me) will magically transform.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How frustrating!! But don't beat yourself up about it. You did your best, and it just didn't work out. Life's like that sometimes.

    Down the road someday you'll laugh about it, so you might as well laugh now. ;-)

    And so many of your other things are sooooo great! Focus on them, and enjoy them... and let this project go.

    (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was it a McCall's pattern? Because, if it was, do not feel bad at all. They routinely disappoint me. So many, many unwearable skirts in prints that I loved...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ginger Ale, no, not McCalls, it is NewLook's 6723. I have a friend who swears by KwikSew patterns, I might give them a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I can so relate!! In fact, after one too many failed clothing projects, I have taken a sabatical from sewing. It was so depressing, I just couldn't face it again! And the duct tape dress form? BOOOO!! Is not such a super idea when you are a large lady like me. Took FOREVER to stuff, and then it just split. I'm trying to block it out of my mind forever :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!