Monday, February 23, 2009

pencil and pad wraps



Here are the pencil and pad wraps I made for my girls for Valentines. I thought they'd be real handy for a quiet activity during church sermons or for when we are on the go and their creative muse strikes. I got the handy free pattern from Skip To My Lou, thanks very much! There are a lot of cool things on her site besides, so check it out.

I love how the pencils facing sideways prevent them from falling out when it is closed. I used a button and loop instead of a snap, since I didn't have any snaps on hand, and some other pretty minor adjustments. The fronts on mine look a bit lumpy because of the pencils, so probably I didn't use the right weight of interfacing.

Hmm...(brain making chooka chooka sounds)...it could also be made with bias tape binding around the edges (with some pattern adjusting), so you wouldn't have to turn it and you could use some really mongo stiff interfacing and it would have more of a booky feel. I also briefly considered switching the pencils to the right side so the lumpy would be on the back, but that wouldn't function as well for my right-handed girls.

Anyhoo, I'm very pleased with the results, my girls love them, and I was finally able to repurpose some placemats I had bought from C&B a while back. So, Win Win Win, as he would say.

16 comments:

  1. I've had this forever in my to-do list but never got around to making them! Maybe this time I will!

    I love how yours turned out!So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those turned out great! What font do you use for your letters? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! Switching the pencils to the other side would be perfect for my little lefty, Gretchen. I bet the girls were excited!

    Maybe Easter.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Olivia would LOVE this. I need to make her one. She would draw and color all day long if I let her :). This would be great for car trips and when i have to take her little brother to his well check appointments. Thanks for tutorial link, this one is definitely on my list! Yours looks great, love the felt letters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool. I've had something like this on my to do list for, oh, a year or so now. Although Gage's preferred medium is pen (already the persnickety artist). I'll have to find a colorful array of pens to suit my aesthetic, too. :) Thanks for the inspiration/motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks, crafty gals! Olivia, I drew the letters freehand on felt, but they would be roughly equivalent to a bold futura and a bold bookman?

    sounds like there are a few wraps that might get made soon, make sure you share some pics, especially if you go with the mondo interfacing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too have been meaning to make some of these, and you've definitely inspired me to move them up a bit higher on my list. The letters are such a nice idea!

    xo, Amanda @ www.kiddio.org / www.housemade.org

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those do look really handy! Thanks so much for the link to the free pattern!

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the little carriers..and their initials. each to their own. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are adorable. Glad I stumbled on the pattern for you. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow. what a blog!

    i have been looking and looking and looking - google and googlier eyed -

    couldn't leave a msg for all the posts -

    inspired. bookmarked. LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucky, googlier! ha! love it, and thanks! Welcome!

    ScrappinBethie, yes, I was remiss in not saying thanks again for pointing the pattern out to me! you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so adorable! I'm new to your blog by the way, and I am enjoying it very much.

    Oh, and I love the win win win. Got season 2 for my birthday a couple weeks ago and we just watched that episode. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My Lady B,
    welcome and thanks commenting! I so love the first two seasons of Office. Not sure I'm diggin it much anymore. Might've jumped the shark.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this one, you have an art in your hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. OOOOOOOhh... I made a brush roll very similar to this!

    You can see it at: http://annaoreilly.blogspot.com/2009/03/hand-sewn-artists-brush-roll.html

    Anna

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!