Monday, June 15, 2009

craft trek: the next generation


Can I just brag on my 6 yr old a little bit? Of course I can, it's my blog. ha.

I have been admiring this series of of Buki animal cutouts she colored, so I thought I'd share. A thing of beauty is always worth sharing, right?



I like how she has no rigid ideas about what colors things should be. She just goes with it. I learn a lot from my kids like that. Is it just me, or are these gorgeous? (hint: your line is "Yes! Clearly genius at work!") I just keep staring at them. I'm thinking of making them into a garland to hang up. And I'd love to have a T-shirt with that dog on it.


The animal cutouts above are from a Buki activity book we picked up at the curriculum fair here (I had to smile when I saw the name of their website -- Poof-slinky?). I always pick up an armful of these little books when I go, and the girls just love them. Their web site seems a bit sluggish, so I've just done a Google search and also found them easily on Amazon and various online toy stores if you'd like to try them.

I love to watch my girls learn anything, but I have to admit having a particular soft spot for any glimpse of emerging artistic talent or love of crafting. I'd like to think I wouldn't mind it a bit if neither had any interest in art, but in my secret heart of hearts it would be a real blow.


That is why I'm so jazzed that my youngest, who for 4.9 of her 5 years showed ZERO interest in drawing or painting (ok, more accurately, less than zero. ok, actually active animosity), has just within the last few weeks really gotten into it and her pictures amaze me. She paints them to look like little quilts.

Ok, I'm done. Honestly. Thanks for hanging in there.

15 comments:

  1. Yes, clearly genius at work! They really are quite wonderful. The colors are happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing - I always love seeing what kids are doing art-wise! Your daughter does some really fun and free uses of color, which is a good lesson for matchy me. Maybe the next Kaffe Fasset or Anna Maria Horner in your little one? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! And only 6 years old?! A budding artist for sure! I love all the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are really cute. It'd be fun to copy those onto fabric and make a pillow or blanket with. Or trace them and embroirder them? Make a softie that looks like one of them using the colors she picked in her original version?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little girl is naturally good with colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the fish has to be my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love those vibrant colors and juxtapositions. And, yes, I can see why you would love immortalizing and sporting that dog around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have given me HOPE for my 4.5 year old son - won't draw, paint, etc...and I used to be an art teacher!!! I've been flogging myself for something I must have done to scare him from picking up a paintbrush. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. RTichy, thanks, I can feel my project list getting longer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. jglitter, I know right? totally feel your pain. I really made an effort not to pressure her. I would give her paints and paper (at her request) and let her do whatever she wanted. So she made murky colored water and slung it all over the table. Then she made people out of her paint brushes. Suddenly one day she spent two solid hours on our porch painting page after page of quilt animals. I was astounded. Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That really is good coloring for one so little. I would have guessed an older child did it. I'm going to look up those books, it looks like the kids could make puppets out of it and that's one of the favorite activities of my kids. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love my kids art too. My 5 year old paints and colors in color blocks like that too. I LOVE IT! I often wish I had that color freedom. BTW I love your blog. I always hesitate to comment since I feel a little like I'm intruding into someone else's life (since I only know you through your blog). I think you are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are so beautiful! Totally understand the excitement. My oldest disliked coloring and drawing until just a year ago (he's 7.5 years now) and was his biggest woe about kindergarten that he was forced to do so. My almost 6 year old daughter used to take it or leave it. Nowadays that's is all they do. Draw and color. Reams of computer paper. And I find it so exciting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing job she did, absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!