Been working on this little blouse from the cool book that my bosom friend gave me a while back. I had some minty lightweight something or other fabric that's been sitting around for a while -- I'm not too good with classifying fabric. It was just some unidentified yardage I picked up at a thrift shop. It's fairly see-through.
In the book, you are supposed to add four buttons and then let the rest of the shirt hang open. I opted to have buttons all the way down the placket.
I'd been looking to use some of the red and white vintage buttons I picked up when in Delft in 2007, so this was a good opportunity. I love mint, white and reds together. However, when I finished the shirt, I thought 'this color combo goes with bupkus in the child's wardrobe', so I decided I had to make a skirt to go with it.
It's just a very simple gathered skirt with a cloth waistband and button closure. I had this ruffly, stretchy trim I'd hoarded a while back from Hobby Lobby that was calling to me, so I sketched some loops on the skirt, then tacked the trim with glue and sewed it down. I hemmed the skirt with some grosgrain ribbon using the Lazy Days skirt hemming method.
At this point, as you can see by the pouty lip, my model had Had Enough. She kept getting buzzed by a bee and was convinced it was out to kill her.
So, another hit from the Japanese Girls Style book. The gift that keeps on giving. Thanks again, Robyn! I'll be making more of this simple little shirt in the future. No sleeves to set in...love it.