Friday, July 3, 2009
While at my mom's I sewed, among other things I can't share right now, this simple simple dress for Thing One from a yard of AMH Good Folks fabic. I used a pattern from the 60s that was my mom's, and in the interest of time and lack of fabric I left off the puff sleeves and facings and used bias tape binding.
My first surprise was that the pattern from years ago when I imagine people were generally smaller and slimmer was actually scaled so big. It is a 6X (yes, they actually sold patterns in single sizes, so much less confusing), which seemed perfect for my slender almost 7 year old. Instead it is like the 6X That Ate A Ten Year Old. I had to take it in almost 2 inches on both sides and it is still too roomy.
The next surprise was the huge huge hem allowance. I guess I didn't look at that before I cut it out, and I was a bit frustrated by that because it might've meant I could have squeezed sleeves or pockets from my fabric remnant if I had cut back on the seam allowance. Also since it is an A-line dress the deep hem also meant I had to gather the edge so the hem would lay flat to sew.
The third surprise is now that it is finished, I really don't like the dress all that much. I don't know what it is. The shape of the dress, the fabric, the choice of yellow for the seam binding. The lack of pockets or some other embellishment. Maybe it needs an applique or contrast pockets.