Monday, September 28, 2009

pieced pincushion


I finally made a Kelly McKaig pincushion from my oft-perused-but-never-sewn Last Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts book. I've had the book for a while, but until last night had never even taken out the folded pattern sheet in the back (a fate shared by several other good books in my library).

I've admired the eye-candy pincushions every time I've opened the book, and last night when I came up to the craft room to fetch something I was overcome by the sudden urge to make one. Does that ever happen to you?


And I found it doesn't take very long to make one (cut and sewn in about 15 minutes, stuffed and finished while watching a good Newsradio re-run). What took me the longest was deciding which fabrics to use. Since the pattern piece fits nicely on less than half of a charm square, that widens the fabric options quite a bit. I remade the pattern piece on cardstock without the fold, since it was such a tiny piece anyway and I didn't want to mess with folding the fabric to cut it.

Have you guys made one? Where are you supposed to leave the opening? I reread the directions and it says that the opening is indicated on the template, but I can't see it on there. I left it open near the point, which was a mistake. Too hard to stitch closed after stuffing.

I might have to make more of these. I think the pincushion is lonely and needs some companions in different colors. Which is a bit ridiculous because I don't really use pincushions that much. Instead I have these less aesthetic but more practical magnetic pin holders. They fit in with my frenetic style of sewing. I just toss the pins in their general direction and the magnetic field snaps the pin in place. But there is no denying the charm of a pincushion, is there? I'll use it for my sewing and embroidery needles.

18 comments:

  1. love the pincushion. Now I want the book. Of course my husband would have a hissy fit since like you a have a ton of books I've yet to use. What did you stuff yours with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice pincushion! I also liked your shoes and the tutorial for the pouch...

    Kind regards and a nice autumn day,

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a very similar pincushion for a gift last year:

    http://katieemrich.blogspot.com/2008/11/tis-seasonto-make-presents.html

    Only I used this tutorial:

    http://blog.creativekismet.com/2007/11/16/patchwork-pincushion-tutorial/

    I don't remember where I left the opening. I would assume it was on one of the sides. I'm sure the tutorial says. Looking through it might help? I remember the instructions being really easy to follow.

    Love the fabric choices on yours by the way. Especially the touch of red. I've had plans to make the pincushion from Anna Maria Horner's book (has a storage well in the center and is large). Though like you I currently use the magnetic ones. Very handy :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cute! You know, that book is one of my favorites and I somehow missed that project. Just slap forgot about it, I guess. Sounds perfect for those (frequent) times when I'm procrastinating something else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks everybodeee! (I always picture Grover when I type that).

    No, it IS a very nice autumn day today. Just got some pumpkins and mums and put out my fall decor. Yay!

    Katie, thanks for that link. That tute is a bit less complicated to sew because of the single piece on the bottom. I may try it! thanks.

    Robyn, I love that book too and I only got it because of the beautiful gifts you did from it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. cupcakecutie, I stuffed it with regular polyfil. the books says to stuff it with organic cotton or something like that. But polyfil seems to work fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is fab, I love your fabric choices too. I am going to have to give this a go. Now how to get another book passed hubby without him noticing lol luv sue x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very beautiful! I have eyed that book many a time, but haven't bought it. Now I might have to give into the temptation. . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love it! center isn't the best spot. could place a big cute vintage button in there if you needed. might have to search it out and make one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. doesn't that pincushion light up your craftroom? it's sooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. gonna have to find that book now. what an enabler!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you used orange-toned fabric it could be the start of a very cute pumpkin collection! I'm thinking the stem could be cut from tree branch with great looking bark and then add some rustic leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! I am putting sewing kits together for my kids for Christmas so these will be included. Thanks for the reminder- I love that book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. juliecache, ha! enabler. love it.

    sheila, pumpkins? intriguing. I was just thinking I need to make some stuffed white pumpkins for my mantel.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey looks great! I love it when you see a project and you just have to do it! You'll never be satisfied until it's done :) good job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your pincushion! It's so sweet. I think you definitely have to make another one, it's so much nicer to sew when there's something pretty around to inspire you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, it looks great! I just got my first sewing machine last week, so I went right out and bought a pin cushion--not half as cute as the one you made! Yes, I get sudden urges to do projects I've been sitting on. Sometimes lightning strikes and I just go with it 'cause you never know when it will hit again! Nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I use the traditional tomato pincushions. I have two, one mine one my grandmothers and decidedly more "vintage". I love how cute that one is tho, and might have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!