Friday, October 23, 2009

welcome, kerilyn



Good friends and all-around wonderful people, Mitch and Julie Davis, just welcomed their sixth, yea verily, sixth beautiful child into the world. Tiny Kerilyn has raven hair and big, big blue eyes. So she must wear bright blue and red, yes.


I used Habitual's kimono wrap tutorial, size 6-12 mos. I omitted the tie closures. Instead, I used snaps with a bow sewn over the top of one snap. I also angled the sides of the kimono out some to give it ease around the belly.

The pants were a huge guessing game. I had no pants pattern for 6-12 mos so I ended up using this one from JCarolineCreative. I had previously traced a pair of 12 mos shorts from a Simplicity pattern I had, but they just looked so huge. This one from JCaroline is supposed to be for 12-18 mos, but it looked on the small side of that to me.

Then I stared just way too long at the completed pants trying to envision a 12 mos old baby in them and whether or not the same baby would fit in the kimono. I went and got a baby doll from the girls playroom and tried the outfit on it. The kimono fit the doll, but the pants were really long. Then I sat and had more mental angst about whether the pants were too big. Also whether using a baby doll to gauge correct human proportions was really stupid. Then I spent about 20 minutes on the internet trying to find a list of average 12 mos old measurements. In the end, I made another, smaller pair of pants Just In Case from the blue floral fabric.


So, whether future one year old Kerilyn is slender and tall or short and roly poly, it's covered.



I decided that she also needed a look-alike doll for her very own to watch over her and tell her all about big bad wolves and kind Grandmas.

25 comments:

  1. I love it! And because of her looks and heritage she is going to be adorable in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just so cute! Perhaps I should try to make a doll of my niece... a little China doll! Btw SIX children?! Oh my.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How gorgeous is that caped doll! I love her eyes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. too cute! I've been looking all day for Little Red Riding Hood! I want to make an applique doll quilt and was looking for a pattern for the applique. This doll is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make me laugh - I tend to overthing things, too. But the outfit is adorable. And that doll!! Where can we find a pattern for the doll? (If you say you whipped it up from the ol' noggin' I'm going to beat my head on my desk - lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oops - I meant "overthink"

    (again, stressing out over something small)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is darling. Red looks a little smug, like she's keeping a secret. Does that cloak have a hidden pocket for sneaking goodies from Granny's basket?

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a beautiful gift - that is one very luckly little girl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Larissa! You are so amazing! I LOVE the colors! And the dolly is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love any doll that has stripy stockings :D Yours is sooooooo sweet! One lucky little girl there

    ReplyDelete
  11. both the outfit and the doll are absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, thanks for the sweet comments, you nice people.

    Mindy, have a look on flickr. You might see some applique ideas there.

    Rachel D, it was from the ol' noggin but please don't beat your head on your desk! It could be said to be loosely based on the cute Black Apple doll from Emily Martin, but I've made so many modifications it is not really the same pattern anymore. (I totally knew what you meant with the overthing, but I would have also totally made new comment to correct myself just like you. Peas in a pod.)

    Erika, she does look a little 'cat that ate the canary', doesn't she? ha. The wolf had better watch out, that's all I'm sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The kimono set is so cute - I'm in the middle of having the same problem. A friend of mine just had a little girl two weeks ago and I'm in angst about making her clothing. I'm thinking I'll just make a baby quilt instead!

    I love that doll! It's so fun and creative. Hmmm, maybe I'll just make her a little doll instead!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to admit I've resorted to grabbing a baby doll to test out some of the things that I've made for our newest arrival (only about a week to go!). I felt equally stupid but was fairly convinced that it was a pretty fair comparison :). LOVE, love, love the new doll. So great with her cape and everything. Such a beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  15. just gorgeous! Love this little doll baby!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You always make the cutest stuff! Love the outfit and the doll!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute...I love the colors you used for the doll and outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the red and blue color combination. I am using Habitual's pattern to make jammies for my kidlets for Christmas. It's so nice to see someone else trying that pattern. Did you find when you drew out the pattern that the back and front were different lengths? I find a lot of inspiration in your ideas. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. little red and her outfits are the perfect fit for anyone that age. they will all get loved, i am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sweet! I love the doll, the clothes, the colors. Bravo yet again, Larry.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, I love that little doll. My "directly from the pattern" black apple doll also has stripey legs and I think they are the best! If only I thought to make her into a little red! You are so smart, and creative. By the way... it's the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I adore all of your work. And you always have such wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  23. this is gorgeous, is there a pattern for that doll? :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, Nadia.
    No there is not a pattern for the doll! Not yet in any case. thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Chris, so sorry. better late than never, huh? No, my pattern came out the same length for both pieces, but I could definitely see where it would get confusing.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!