Monday, January 11, 2010

snowboard diorama


I was looking for a good way to present my brother-in-law Robby's birthday money. Since the wants and desires of the men in my life are as transparent as mud, cash is the usual default birthday gift. So my challenge is to gift it in a way that seems more thoughtful than just handing him a grubby wad of bills.

Turns out he is taking a birthday trip to Breckenridge this month with his lovely wife, Tiffany, so money seemed especially helpful. He is a big snowboarder, so this is what I came up with.

The girls and I had already made the ornament earlier, so I just gave the little snowboarder ornament a snowy hill to jump and some trees to avoid. Don't look too hard at it. I threw it together in like 20 minutes before we walked out the door because I'm such a great manager of my time. ahem.

It is made inside a cardboard gift box, so I just secured everything down and put the lid on it, then wrapped it like a regular gift. Had time allowed I probably would have added some wispy clouds and perhaps some sparkle to the trees. Can you just imagine that stuff in for me? Thanks.

19 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea and VERY cute!!!
    :) Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is SOOO clever and cute! You could do a skateboarder for a summertime birthday too. Or 2 popsicle sticks for a skiier. Weeee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I agree what a great idea to put more thought into the gift! I too have a hard time when it comes to giving presents to the guys in my life and money seems to be the answer, but not so thoughtful as I would like. This is a great idea! I will have to think of other diaromas you could do as well! thanks for the creative idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very great idea! I love the leg warmers...awesome

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, love this little fellow! His scarf swirling in the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is sooo creative and cute!!

    (Sometimes our best ideas come at the last minute... under pressure. ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did this in 20 minutes. That's crazy good for only 20 minutes worth of work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is so much fun! much better than the wads of money-- for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is AWESOME! Seriously. I bet he totally saves it on his dresser at home or desk at work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute, cute, and more cute. Love the partridge and pear ornaments. We need to be friends ;).

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey, thanks everybody!

    Jen and SinginginHisName, the possibilities are endless!

    Robyn, good grief yourself. phht.

    Jennifer, urmmm...those are supposed to be ski boots! I guess they do look like leg warmers. it's pipe cleaners, ok? :-)

    Grandma G, that is my theory. However i've never tried it the other way.

    Elizabeth, when you have a space set up all the time with supplies at hand it really helps.

    Tami, yeah. not so much. He's a guy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. okay. robby had to be impressed with that - even as understated as he is.
    after seeing this, i'm going to feel guilty giving just a regular ordinary card to someone. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahem. 20 minutes? You rock! Lovin' your site. Just linked over from a friend of mine.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!