Thursday, March 25, 2010

future sewing a) disasters or b) triumphs (TBD)

Do you read A Dress A Day? That Erin is funny. And has mad dressmaking skillz. She featured the McCalls 8335 pattern (shown above, left) one day as her Pattern Story feature. I fell in love. Found it somewhere, etsy or ebay, can't remember which. (Random: every time I type the word ebay, I type ebaby instead. Every. Time.) (Like the last two times in this paragraph. No lie. Even when I was typing it to complain how I mistype it.)

The Butterick 4692 pattern was purchased on impulse when I was on an etsy troll for tunic patterns. I may have been a bit over excited. But it could be good as a dress. Just longer than shown.

How did I not know about Sew Liberated's Schoolhouse Tunic until now? Maybe late to this party. Love what I've seen on flickr, especially this one with the added ruffles. I'm very excited to try it.

And the duro dress, Simplicity 3875. Another fever set off by Erin at A Dress A Day. Robyn has made one from this pattern and since the bodice turned out too short for her it might do well for me, Larissa Short Pockets. We shall see!

I've never sewn a Vogue pattern. Found this one (2690) in the bargain bin at the local thrift shop and thought I'd try it sometime. It's been in the drawer forgotten for a few years. Looks fairly simple. Maybe worth a try.

And lastly this McCalls Easy Knits 3133 from the thrift store. Just because it says "A Pounds Thinner Pattern". And because I am ready to try some knits right after I learn to use this:

It came with a CD and a user's manual. I cannot wait to get into it, but I have some projects that need to be done before I do. I love user manuals. I know, it's a little strange.


  1. Hi Larissa!
    I love the first patterns. I think those vintage looking dresses are superb, but unfortunatly they don't fit me well. I'm too chubby for them, I think... =(

    And what a delight, a new sewing friend! I bet you'll make wonderfull things together!

    Enjoy the manual!!^^

    kisses from Brazil

  2. You tempt me with all those gorgeous patterns for tunics. I looove tunics. ;))

    And it's so funny. Your new serger is exactly like mine. It's a fine machine - I'm very pleased with mine. Good luck with your first go at it and the users manual. :))

  3. Looks like you have some fun things planned! I have that same serger - it's super easy to use and does the trick. I don't know if you had a serger prior to this, but if not, you are going to get hooked - it's awesome!!

  4. I always type ebaby too - I have to change it every time! So glad I'm not the only one:)

    The schoolhouse tunic has been on my list too. I'm so jealous of your serger. I want one!

  5. great post ! thanks for sharing !

  6. My husband chides me ALL the time about NOT reading user manuals. I think for that puppy it's a requirement though... I want one so bad. Maybe after seeing your adventures with it I'll give it a go too!


  7. Can't wait to see your patterns come to life!

    I have that very same serger. Very easy to use, but now I'm needing a little more instruction to branch out. Pass on any little secrets you discover. :)

  8. Just last night I was watching on YouTube some videos on how to use a serger and I found this one on that same machine. I thought you'd like to check it out:

    It's a little basic, but she goes over all the features. Enjoy!

    Oh, and by the way, based on what I've seen on this blog, I very much doubt that your creations will be disasters. Most likely they'll be stunning. :)

  9. Congratulations on the new "addition" to the family. Have fun playing! I'm green with envy.

  10. Oh the patterns look great and I like the first one very much and of course the "one pound thinner" - it sounds so funny and very 50s I think.

    Looking foreward to seeing the results and the easter dress looks sweet!

  11. I am another person with the exact same serger...but I am intimidated and after my first project it has sat there. Can't wait to see what you do with it so that maybe it will inspire me to get over my anxiety.

  12. Yay! Serger! Can't wait to see what inventive tricks you come up with.

  13. I have the same serger! I am still learning how to use it too. I got mine second hand for a very good price so I had to learn by reading the PDF manual. I am still missing a needle though and the old owner did not provide me with the hexagonal wrench to change the needle. I ordered some via ebay and I am still waiting for them. Hoping that they will work...

    I'd love to see you sew some dresses with your serger!

  14. Ok, I just got that same serger a few months ago. I LOVE it. Seriously, it's great. With that being said, I think I've been super spoiled by my totally brainlessly easy to use sewing machine. I've had to rethread my serger a couple times and it kinda makes me want to pound my face into a wall. The videos do help a lot. Just wish someone had shown me in person. Oh well. It is still SO great and someday I will be a pro with it. :)

  15. they all look fabulous! especially interested in the schoolhouse tunic. guess i'm later to the party :)

    happy sewing!


  16. i think the love of manuals is---they are so structured, and of couse filled with lots of wonderful information for something that you love! can't go wrong with that kind of pillow reading at night.

  17. You will love sewing a Vogue Pattern, they are the best I have seen so far.

    Speaking of the Sew Liberated top, have you seen this contest:

    She asked me to be a judge, I think you should enter, wink.


  18. I have the same serger and it is a breeze to use and thread. Now I need to overcome my fear of removing the stitch finger so I can sew a rolled hem, so I can get going on petal skirts for my triplet nieces, good luck.

  19. Larissa, I didn't realize you were into vintage patterns. I have a whole drawer full. Let me know and I'll bring you some to see if you like any of them.

  20. Nicki, absolutely, bring 'em on!

  21. Those patterns look great. I bought the same serger a while ago & was Terrified of it! Just took it out of the box, followed the video (tiny, tiny on the screen) - and the manual - re-threaded it and now I'm serging away!
    Good luck & have fun sewing.


Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!