like usual. I did in fact give myself several days lead to tackle the Built by Wendy dress again, this time determined to get the sizing right and also to sew in my first invisible zipper.
*Everything I make inside my head turns out fabulous. Of course. Things only go awry in the real world.
I used the flat sheet I had thrifted earlier in a great eggplant color. (As a rule, I do not use fitted sheets, unless they are new in the package. I have to draw the line somewhere.) I actually spent more money on the lining fabric than the dress fabric, but I managed to find a nice liner that was almost the same exact color as the sheet at Jo-Ann. What are the odds?
This time I went back to the size 12, and just added more room in the shoulders and chest. I did this by simply sewing it with a half inch seam instead of the full 5/8 inch seam. I think the bottom is a bit too full, too A-liney. Needs to be straighter. I also shortened the waist, but I think I might shorten it a tad more next time. Yes, there will be a next time. Remember this fabric? Sigh.
I didn't alter the pockets this time, but I added 2 inches to the length to make up for shortening the waist and also to make it a bit longer than last time. I found out it is a bad idea to sew the lining into the hem. I got the lining a bit shorter than the dress somehow, and after I sewed it into the hem it made the dress hang weird. The seam ripper got a good workout. It's better to leave the lining hanging loose, check.
I had really high hopes of embroidering a pattern on the neck and pockets in cinnamon, gold and turquoise, but I ran out of time. I guess I can still do that.
I admit I was afraid of the invisible zipper. To prep, I read several tutorials, and found this one to be the most helpful. I used it in conjunction with the directions that came with the zipper itself and I think the whole process went very well. I had no trouble finding the required invisible zipper foot near the zippers at my local fabric store.
I have to say that now I've done one, I think invisible zippers are actually easier than regular zippers to put in, and the results are certainly more attractive. I guess I need to qualify that: easier as in less frustrating, not less time consuming. Try as I may, I always manage to pucker the fabric when I sew in a regular zipper. The biggest drawback to the invisible zipper was having to figure out how to attach the plastic invisible zipper foot to my machine. But now I have that figured out, the next one shouldn't take as much time.