Monday, April 5, 2010
After the first two attempts went awry, these are the successful ones. I'm pretty happy with them. I kept it simple because I was trying to make two dresses on the Friday before Easter. I used fabric from my stash, this luscious AMH Small Gathering cotton I've been hoarding and it was perfect. The showy floral fabric made special what might otherwise have been more of a workhouse tunic. I just love the delicious colors and that the dresses aren't matchy matchy, but similar.
I already had the fabrics I used for the bias binding in the stash too. Actually this whole project was taken from my stash, zippers and all. Didn't purchase a thing. Which works out great when you are starting a project on an already very busy weekend and your lower spine is staging a coup for control of your body. I think I may have a bulging disk or something. Ick. But I digress.
I used this old pattern of my mom's that I've used once before, Simplicity 7563. It's not the pinafore, it is the underdress without the puffed sleeves. I remembered that despite the 6x size marked on it, it is scaled pretty big. So it still fit my 7.5 year old with plenty of room to spare. I even had to take it in. Then I sized it waaaay down for the waifish 5.75 year old. You'd think she never eats, but oh she does. A lot. Frequently.
I figured out a trick to easily sew in a regular zipper that I'd never clued into before. I'll have to do that as another post, it would be much better to just photograph it than to try to explain it.
The dress in action. Sleeveless was just the thing for today, it was very warm. Oy, Georgia. Already too hot for me.
These last shots were taken at my in-law's, where we enjoyed a delicious southern meal with family and friends, and of course a lively egg hunt. We had a lovely day, I hope you all did too. Next up on the post list, The Easter Dresses That Weren't.