Monday, May 24, 2010

friend performs fly by

I'm given things like this when Robyn comes here.
Come back, Robyn.


Bosom friend and crafter extraordinaire Robyn and her sweet kids came for a whirlwind visit a few days ago. We even got a cameo by her lovely mom, so it was a great time.

We ate good food, lazed around on the screened porch in our pajamas and watched the kids play outside. We also managed a group trip to IKEA and also a great thrift store near me. Robyn scored all kinds of coolness at the thrift store including a great red print vintage dress. I got some odds and ends and some books for the kids (the stack of Magic Treehouse books have already been devoured, so thanks for the tip, Robyn).


And you guys knew I bought some fabric at IKEA. Right? sigh. I don't need it. But. I can't not get it. Right?


As usual, Robyn came bearing many thoughtful (and yummy) gifts. Among other things, what you see above for my birthday girl, who was thrilled. How does she find such cool things? I'm a little jealous of the coloring book. Then, the most PERFECT t-shirt for my...erm...frugal husband (If Life Gives You Lemons, Keep Them. Because, Hey, Free Lemons).





And this book. Robyn, I'm already really loving the vintage goodness. So. Many. Diagrams. It has everything. Just the embroidery alone. So many methods and stitches I've never even seen or heard of. Also I'm especially jazzed about the knitting and crochet sections. As you have seen, my embroidery needs help. And crochet is proving difficult to master. And knitting is a complete uncharted mystery.

Thanks again for the visit, Bob! Hugs to you.

17 comments:

  1. So much fun! Loving everything, but I gotta favor the shirt. HA! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha! That t-shirt is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That knitting/appliqueing/etc. book looks great and very comprehensive! Can you please share the title with us? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, sounds like lots of fun. And that book is pretty incredible. Looks like I'm going to have to stalk half.com for a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Ana,
    the cover of the book is shown in the first photo of the post, and the title is: Reader's Digest Complete Guide To Needlework.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Larissa, thanks for the reminder on that book. My gran was a readers digest subscriber & got this for me many moons ago. Going to dig it out of the garage asap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friends are the best. I just got the RD complete guide to sewing. It's a treasure trove. I'm sure the stitching one is too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had the opportunity to buy IKEA fabric on impulse :). Though I've heard they've broke ground in Denver!! We should have one before the year is out! Christmas of 2010 is going to be awesome :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. She sounds like an awesome friend! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - what a tribute to our brief but lovely time together. So, so glad you're enjoying the random collection of oddities I dumped on you and yours. Even the okra. :) I miss you already!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lucky! Vintage needlework books are great. Sometimes I have the impression that they offer much more information than most of the craft books published now. They are fantastic to re-discover old techniques. So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have that same fabric from Ikea and I love it! I also had that same Reader's Digest needlework book growing up and learned a lot from it - I'll have to check and see if my Mum still has it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the Spanish edition of the book! Too funny, and it happens to be an excellent translation, a very rare occurrence.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have that same Needlework book — passed on to me from my grandma! It's FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have this book too! thrifted and gifted to me, and I too absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have that book. It was my moms. I open it up all the time thinking I can learn something from it. Then I close it and realize maybe I am just not that crafty! I can cross stitch, I can knit a scarf, I have used my sewing machine to make a-line baby dresses. Beyond that, I am lost! But I love that book anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love, love the Reader's Digest Book. I got it at an old library sale for 75cents. I was in the 8th grade and thought it was gold then... it is so wonderful! =)

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!