Tuesday, August 10, 2010

in which I splice elastic to avoid shaving my legs.


I was making a skirt for my girlie the other day and realized I only have bits and pieces of the size of elastic I needed for the waistband. After pondering a trip to the fabric store for about two seconds, I got out my Fabri-tac instead.

I cut the ends of both pieces of elastic at right angles. Then I dabbed just a bit of Fabri-tac on the straight edge of one piece, connected it with the next piece and held it for a few seconds to get a bond strong enough to hold it in place for sewing.

Last step, I sewed a strong zig zag bond between the two pieces. Went back and forth a few times. I also had to trim off some bits of rubbery elastic that were sticking out.

Voila. Trip to store avoided. Just thought this might be helpful to others that find themselves out of elastic 1) at 2 a.m., 2) while finishing a gift an hour before a birthday party, or 3) while unshowered and uncombed and don't want inflict themselves on the public. All scenarios that have happened to yours truly.

11 comments:

  1. You and your Fabri-tac. :) Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate... Thanks so much for sharing and reassuring us that "unglamorous" is becoming the new "glamorous". Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to tell you that I purchased your Baby Binky BUnny pattern about a year ago, before I had my blog. I've gotten around to making my first one and will post it very soon. It's okay for a first, but look forward to making MANY more! I love your pattern! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Thanks for sharing....I'm SURE to use this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robyn, yeah. I am the Fabri-tac poster child. They should make me their spokesperson.

    Sandra, how cool! thanks so much for the BBB pattern love. Love to see your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this post just makes me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why thank you! I've never thought of this before. :) Beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This makes perfectly good sense! I have tons of rogue pieces of elastic floating around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Edris, I KNEW I was keeping all those useless pieces for something. Validation of a scrap hoarder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, I have totally been there before! When it gets to piecing more than three pieces I just feel too ridiculous, so I guess it can be worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!