Wednesday, September 15, 2010

argh.

I've been working so hard on some cool projects but can't show you anything much about them until all is revealed next fall. Yes. A year from now. And that is a huge bummer for me because I'm really excited about it! I've been asked to contribute to a couple of books that are being put together by some really cool folks for publishing next year.


So instead of forbidden crafts, I'll show you my big 3rd and 1st grader on their first day of school at our house this past Sept 1st. It's a little anticlimactic when you just slouch down the hall and into the school room. Which also doubles as the playroom.

I really enjoy other blogger's pictures of their squeaky clean kids headed for the bus with their new haircuts, new clothes, new shoes and bookbags full of new supplies. It brings on feelings of nostalgia for those first school days of my youth. So this photo must look pretty sad compared to those, but both the girls wanted to pick their own outfits and do their own hair.

I do love my little students so. (hugs photo) Here's to another great year at the Holland Academy for Young Ladies!

P.S. From some of the comments, I feel the need to clarify: I'm not one who thinks home schooling is the only right choice. The county we live in is known for its excellent schools, and I know there are so many dedicated and wonderful teachers in our public schools. We home school because it is right for our family, but we also know it is not right for every family! We are just happy to have the option and the freedom to choose. Very thankful for that.

15 comments:

  1. I commend you for homeschooling. I would do it if I had it in me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the name of your school, applaud your choice, and will have to wait patiently with you to enjoy your success. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not sad or anti-climactic at all! Sad and anti-climactic is setting a child into new clothes, new hair cut, with a new back pack, just to ship them off for the day to the government for their sub par system of 'education'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so admire you for being able to homeschool! I could never have done it.

    Cute (and lucky) girls!

    And shame on you for teasing us with something that we won't be able to see FOR A WHOLE YEAR!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with ya! Our first day of school picture my daughter is still in her jammies. Oops! Just new to homeschooling and really love it. God bless for a great school year!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ana, thank you! We know it is not for everybody, but it is workin' great for us. We are just thankful to have the option, since many countries do not.

    Q, I just meant the photo is sad looking. Did you see their hair? Ha! Nothing about homeschooling is sad -- we love it!

    Grandma G, believe me, I'm feeling the pain of having to keep my yap shut about it.

    Emily, may God bless your school year too! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes!!! I knew some publisher would snatch you up someday! Can't wait to see the big surprise. I know it will be well worth the wait! Love the pic of the girls -- they are such poised young ladies (with fashion-sense to boot!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cute. It must be wonderful to have the opportunity to home school. Good for you. You could always let the girls put on their backpacks and schlep to the classroom in your home! :-) Make 'em go outside and run around the house and come back in! ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shelly, thanks, you are always so sweet. Love your avatar shot with your dear boys. Erm...fashion sense. I wouldn't go THAT far. They do have a love of fashion, but you can never tell what those girls will put together. It is very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  10. how exciting! It's so hard to keep secret's isn't it?! Of course a publisher would come snatch you up, you're great! :) And those girls of yours are just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anna, and Chris, very sweet of you to say! thanks!

    Mama Pea, that is an excellent idea. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! YAY! I am so happy for you and your school name! I may have to borrow the " school for girls " part but change it to " school for boys'' lol. I homsechool too and I too loved seeing all the first day of school pics. I even snapped a few pics of our first day of school. Only, lol, mine were of the boys in bed still at 8am...isn't that nice?! I did get a photo of each kiddo through out the day. I can't wait to see what your blog will look like this time next year! Here's an idea. ... you should totally put one of those neat little icon thingys on your page that does the count down. THat would be SO cool! I love reading your blog. Thank you for sharing. Have a blessed school day!
    Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pricklybranch Manor, our school name is kind of a joke, but I think it would look great on T-shirts. I've even considered making a fancy sign for the school room door. I'm not a morning person, so the sleeping in thing is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  14. we slouched down the hallway too!! love the ability to do our own hair- or not and enjoy each others company. meaning giggles through math. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My country is one which offers no option in this. We are not allowed to home school. =(

    Gladly I do have in my neighborhood som nice choices in cute, good, and affordable private schools (public school here is a sad sad mess!)
    But I'll keep Lilla home in this forst years... (people here usually send the kids off to school before 1yo)

    Hugs from Brazil!

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!