Monday, November 29, 2010

dress fail.


Siggghhhhhh. You know that easy dress I was going to make to wear over Thanksgiving weekend? The super simple one made from an existing T-shirt, wide elastic, and a straightforward gathered skirt that seemingly couldn't go wrong?

Yep. Fail.
Oh well. I did get it mostly sewn together with the helpful assistance of my mom, but it just didn't look great on me so I gave it up as a bad job and watched a movie instead.

Here's what I learned: Adding an elastic waist skirt that is a gathered rectangle may not be the way to go with my physique. It looks really poofy at the top, like I'm wearing an upside down brandy snifter. I refuse to wear a super short length skirt, so this may contribute to the weird lines because my skirt reaches to the top of my knees. As I searched for solutions online, I saw Ruffles and Roses made hers an A-line shape instead to counteract that whole thing, so that might be the way to go on Attempt No. 2., however my fabric has a horizontal stripe so I may have to go with another fabric. Also, I could try having less fabric to gather to reduce the poofiness.

Also, the really wide 3 inch elastic that I love is also a problem because I'm a bit short waisted. If I sew it straight together, it fits great on the hip edge but too loose on the rib edge. If I angle it as I sew it together, it fits much better, but it makes the back of the waistband look a bit odd, like a downward pointing arrow. I can solve that one by using thinner elastic and sewing it straight across, I think, but it will look less fabulous.

Why can't these things turn out exactly like my shining visions? So on Thanksgiving morning I had a clothes crisis in the absence of my intended dress and ended up wearing an unfortunate outfit that made me look like a bloated manatee in annual family photos. Stay tuned for Attempt No. 2. This is not going to beat me.

15 comments:

  1. I once was SO determined to sew new plaid jumpers (hey, it was the 80's) for my daughters and myself for a Christmas party, I actually wore it unhemmed, because I wasn't done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer. I hate it when hopeful projects go bad.

    Idea: You could use the 3" elastic that you love, taper it, and cover the V shaped seam with a fabric flower or bow or something. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, no! quite the disappointment, i'm sure! although, i seriously doubt you looked like a 'bloated manatee'. hope version 2.0 goes much better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain! I made a dress fail that I chopped off into a shirt fail, then I gave it away. I too need to understand that some things just don't look good on my frame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm. Could you do a 3" wide ribbon sash/bow, then the ties could hang down and draw the eye more vertically. I'm short waisted too and have these same problems! Grr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. was the bloated manatee look because of too much eating? just finding another reason to blame instead of cute stuff we try to make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Y'all, thanks for the sympathy and the ideas.

    Whosies, I'd really rather blame the clothes. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Larissa, thanks for sharing this. I thought I was the only one this happened to. This is why I buy ready to wear--because I have to see how it looks on before I invest the time and money and effort into it! I stick to cell phone holders, because I don't have to know how fat it's going to make my but look before I spend time making it. haha! I wonder if you tapered the t-shirt in at the waist...like a more fitted t-shirt before you added the elastic if that would work better for you. Sigh. I wish I had the problem of being as thin as you and worrying about it! ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. In a december 2008 post, you said "gathered waist dresses look ghastly on me", or something along those lines.....
    So, stop making them! I'm just saying...You don't like them, save yourself the disappointment and time, you'll be happier in the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mama Pea, how sweet, but I'm here to tell you (laughing) the problem is DEFINITELY NOT that I'm too skinny. Everything looks darling on skinny people. You could put a burlap sack on a skinny gal and cinch it with a belt and it would look fabulous. I think the gathering bunched up around my short waist is the problem, and the lack of A-line.

    Alayna, will you please stop making perfect sense? Can't heeeeeeaar youuuuu. La la la la (fingers stuck in ears)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so disappointing, sorry. I hate that feeling. Looks cute. At least there's enough fabric there to salvage for something else fabulous :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bummer! It looks great on the hanger! :) I thought of you the night before we left for our holiday travels. I decided to make new outfits for the girls instead of packing. But since it was late at night and they were asleep, the skirts were both the complete wrong sizes and I had to ditch the whole thing. Maybe we'll both have better luck next time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are much braver than i with the dress making.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made a skirt like this a while ago out of silk dupioni. It is not great either. The shop where I learned to do this sort of thing is staffed by bigger girls and it looks fantastic on them. I think that is just the key. this style is not for the skinny ones and good for the curvy ones for once!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Olivia, I'm so relieved that the most organized person in the world (you) also had a packing-crafting-brain-disengage. Sorry about the skirts!

    Juliecache, perhaps not braver, just more naive. ha.

    Juliette. Juliette, Juliette, Juliette. Darlin, everything looks great on people like yourself. You need a better mirror. Ha! And believe me, if this skirt style works better for non-waif women, it should work great for me. And it will. Oh yes, it will. (gritted teeth)

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!