Sunday, January 9, 2011

dear bejacketed fox girl, we love you.

fox girl doll by Mimi Kirchner

I feel it's important to support other crafters and artists. So I felt it behooved me, nay, it was my duty to buy this amazing fox girl doll and make her my own. You might know we have kind of a soft spot for animal dolls around here.

Oh, we love her so much. The quality of this doll is so impressive. Mimi has in spades what my old graphic design professor, Barbara Yale-Read, reverently termed as "good craft". Meaning that great care is taken to execute the idea in as careful and neat a way as possible.

Me and the girls oohed and ahhed over her as I unpacked her. We had to undress her and look at all her little clothes. All the wooly and lawny fabrics are so rich in color and the finishing is so neatly done. Then we looked in her little purse at the secret treasure that was hidden in there. Then we carefully dressed her all back up and she is now on display in my family room behind glass. I get a big shot of happy each time I walk by and see her in there with my other handmade dolls.

Loxy says "Hi, Mimi!"

If you haven't seen Mimi Kirchner's blog or shop, treat yourself to a look. She also has a fabulous free doll tutorial on the Purl Bee that's been on my to do list for such a long while.

13 comments:

  1. I made Mimi's doll from the free pattern and enjoyed it so much I now make my own dolls because I was so inspired by her. Love the fox!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you! I've recently made her felt doll, which was fun to do and turned out real fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I have seen her work but had forgotten about it and the tutorial. Thanks for the reminder :). Love the colors on the fox!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 2011 to you! I love your works, is very beatiful. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy 2011 larissa! you are so lucky to own such a work of art! i love mimi kirchner's dolls too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see why you love her... the details are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have her on my blog roll and on Facebook. I saw this little gem, and I guess you are the lucky soul who got it!! It sure is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I follow her, too, and I saw this doll on her website. I really LOVE so many of her dolls. Congrats on making this one your own. SO JEALOUS! :-) I showed that photo of the fox to my daughter when it was on her blog. She went nuts and wanted it (though she said it was a kitten). We drooled over it, too. I'm so glad she went to such a good home.

    And, by the way, I'm drooling over your nice pegboard and organization over your shoulder in the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky, lucky you! (And Mimi's as nice as her work is wonderful.) So glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this foxy doll. LOVE HER!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mimi's dolls are amazing! So lucky of you to scoop that gorgeous foxy doll!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lucky girls!!! both you and the fox.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so freaking cute! I want that jacket for myself.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!