Friday, January 21, 2011

focus and finish...focus and finish...ooh, look, something shiny


Isn't this a cute collection? It's Hoopla by Moda. I just got a charm pack. You can't see it in the shot, but the solid white square is actually a white on white dot that is lovely. That dark blue floral would be so cute on the reverse side of Thing 1's Project-That-Won't-Die duvet cover (see below for an old WIP picture). I'm so ready to get that thing finished. She is dropping regular hints about what terrible shape her quilt is in. I've let the new cover sit around untouched for months and now I just want it out of my craft room and on her bed.

 
It's all pieced. I just need to border it with something (thinking a solid light blue cotton) to get the proper width and depth for the top and then I need to sew it to a same-sized backing on three sides with a buttoned opening.


I also recently stumbled across seven yards of this blue swiss dot at the thrift store, so I'm thinking maybe using it for some kind of trim on the reverse (possibly Hoopla) side.

12 comments:

  1. simply lovely! (I have a couple of projects like that.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I giggled at the title of this post. That is so me lately. The colors look lovely. I'm sure your Thing will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!! Those colours are just scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your title! :)

    And wow! is that quilt ever an optical illusion! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's going to be the cutest duvet on the block when it's finished! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a project just like this. I have been working on it for SO long now and everytime I think about finishing it I just cringe. I just wish it was done already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go for it! :D I am like that too, I have a great idea in my head, I work it out, I start on the project but then.. somehow, for some reason, I don't have the mental energy left to persue.. But you just go for it! It looks amazing already!! :D When I finally do finish a project, I feel sooo Proud! Bet you will too ;).
    P.S. I love the fabrics!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes indeed that is a very cute collection and your quilt top is gorgeous! Lucky you to find seven yards of fabric in a thrift shop :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That will be a great duvet. Will you line the inside so the seams don't fray when you take the comforter in and out? I have always wondered about that when people use a quilt top for a duvet. I am thinking of making one, too, but am not sure about that issue. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, y'all. I'm so sick of looking at it. I went to the fabric store full of determination yesterday and of course they didn't have what I needed to finish. sigh.

    Mama Pea, nah. I'm going to chance it. I'm not for sure that a lining would cut down on the seam wear and tear unless it was quilted to it and there's no way I'm doing that. I'm not even sure how well the top of the duvet will hold out, so I'm not worried about the insides for now. This will definitely be an experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This colours are really nice.. I'll see if If I find some of them in Spain. I'll be back, your blog is very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!