Thursday, May 5, 2011

window film



I have an endless list of small decor updates that patiently wait for my attention around the house. I recently finished this little project on my list, replacing the old colored static film on the sidelights and bathroom windows with new, clearish film.

I love this stuff. It's perfect to give privacy without cutting the light. If you are curious, this particular brand is Light Effects that I picked up on Amazon. It couldn't be easier to apply. You use slightly soapy water and a squeegee. Once on, it will not budge. I had the last batch on there for the past nine years or so and it never bubbled or came up. And it peeled right off when I needed to change it.

One distressing note, when I peeled the old film off there was suddenly an overpowering chemical/petroleum smell. It made me cough. I had to immediately take the old film outside. That was weird. No smell at all was present until I peeled it off. Uhhhh...Maybe you should not leave it on for nine years? The new film has no detectable smell.

Random blog maintenance announcement: I've added a new Google search field to the right sidebar, under my profile. There's always been a blogger search field at the top of the window, but I've noticed it is not the most effective or thorough. This Google search field seems to be more targeted. Enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. Put something similar on our master bath glass shower doors. Absolutely love it. Now I won't burn the retinas out of my kids' eyes when there is an 'emergency' while I'm in the shower. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, clear glass shower doors would be my worst nightmare! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I did the same for my kitchen window as well... because the window is facing a small lane.. just need some privacy but done want to block the light. And I add a little touch by cutting the edge and make it look like a curtain.. You can 'fun up' yours by cut out some words or pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so ordering some of this for my front door where the light comes through like a laser beam! This will definitely help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also prefer installing window film rather than etched glass because it’s far more affordable than the latter. Anyway, did you cover the whole glass pane up? I think you can try making a stencil pattern to make it look more beautiful and personalized. Cheers!

    Greg Arnett

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!