Thursday, July 28, 2011

corners of my house: beanie baby tower


Recently checked this small project off. I bought this cool hanging storage thingie at IKEA a (long) while ago and just now got around to putting it up. It was too intimidating for me to hang it myself since it required 1) finding a stud and 2) making a hole in the ceiling, so I put it on the laundry room shelf for later and forgot about it for um, two years. 

My husband just put it in for me and it is perfect for the girls army of beanie babies. It is meant to hold stuffed animals but it was NOT designed for heavy beanie animals though, because it is really straining against the velcro loop that holds it on the chain and it has fallen off a couple of times. But it is so cute and handy for storage that I'm willing to let it suffer. I have some of the weight supported by letting it rest on the floor instead of swinging free, but I need to take it down and reinforce it somehow. Later.

6 comments:

  1. so will we see the post two years later about the reinforcement project? This sounds so much like me, no wonder we get along. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a bummer on the no peanut issue! I thought she had tested out okay this last time. :( Maybe when she is visiting Nana you can indulge. Half the recipe to make a 9x9.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, we have one of those two and I totally did it. I installed it perched half on a ladder half on the dresser and put in one of those anchors into plaster no less! I bought it to hold stuffed animals too but as soon as I got it up there I realized just how small the openings are. It's really not as versatile as I hoped it would be. The big ones are really wedged in there and wrestling them out is pretty precarious. It's cute though. I guess that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica, yep that is problably how long it will take. good idea about the 9x9. I could eat that all by myself i'm sure.

    sbsterling, kudos to you for installing it, apparently at risk of life and limb. Yes, in my world, cute outweighs performance sometimes. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi! my daughter's stuffed animals are in one of these as well. i did sew across the velcro to reinforce it, and then it's on one of those big hooks. it does look wonky from where the weight pulls it at the top, but i'm not a perfectionist anymore (thanks to kids :) ) the room looks great by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the tower. I'm thinking of getting for myself.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!