Friday, September 2, 2011

British Word of the Day

Americans put Band-Aids on their boo boos. Brits use Elastoplasts. Two fine examples of a brand name that has become so ubiquitous it has replaced the actual word.

Late Note: From the wealth of comments, apparently I've got this all wrong as a commonly used term. It's really called 'sticking plaster', which is way funnier.

Also, my word, you guys don't say boo boo? Boo boo: minor injury, especially referring to children. It's just cute to say, especially in your most annoying baby voicy. "Does him have a widdle boo boo? Aw, I so sorry!"

We have two Boo Boo Bunnies that reside in the freezer. They are washcloth bunny rabbits with ice cores, which when applied to a boo boo give miraculous healing powers. At least that is what my youngest says.

11 comments:

  1. mmmm i think everyone I know would refer to them in this way"Do you need a plaster?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just about to add that as far as I knew they were always called plasters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit also to never have used the word Elastoplasts, but rather a plaster. If someone asked me for an Elastoplasts I would have no clue what they wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry... agree - I have only heard people say 'plasters' here in the UK. But definitely we use 'band-aids' in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. plasters is definitely the word.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My English husband calls them sticky plasters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving this word of the day feature. I'm going to have to incorporate "elastoplasts" into my daily vocabulary! My kids will think that it's hilarious..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Plaster! What in heaven name is a boo boo!!! Elastoplast is a makers name I think!!!! Sorry don't mean to interfere. By the way it is really hot and lovely today, so goodness knows what you should wear to England! By the way I talked to the men in my life and they all say Holdall and all the girls say bag!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really enjoying these posts. I'm British but moved to Canada when I was 7. I grew up hearing these words and phrases from my parents. When I'd repeat them at school, I got some very strange looks from the other kids! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, we just say plaster unless asking for Elastoplasts in the chemists. And what the heck are boo boos! In Wales a small cut or graze is a po po (pronounced as in pot)... or is it just in our family :-o

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, just come across your blog + it made me laugh! Its funny to see how other people see the Brits. Thanks it put a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!