Tuesday, September 6, 2011

British Word of the Day

American criminals burglarize, but British housebreakers burgle.
So instead of exclaiming "I've been robbed!" the hapless victim might say "I've been burgled!" (or more recently "My shop's been looted by a flash mob!")

I don't know why, but 'burgled' reminds me of a vintage 20s placard showing a young couple, and he says "Do you like Kipling?" and she says "I don't know, you naughty boy, I've never kippled."


  1. You crack me up! :) Cheers!
    Miss Charlotte

  2. Yes - but that's because the housebreaker is a BURGLAR :o) I'll be sorry when you actually start your trip Larissa - I'll miss this little giggle every day!

  3. Ann, I'm back home and the last installment is tomorrow. Maybe I should make it a weekly series. I've really had fun.

  4. BTW, we say burglar too, but I thought housebreaker sounded more British.


Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!