Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Violet


We had to say goodbye to my lovely Aunt Violet this weekend. She passed away on November 3rd at the age of 87. She was my mom's much beloved big sister, but she took care of my mom more like a mother when she was young. I will always remember her vivacious personality and signature way of speaking. She had such an engaging voice and impeccable taste. She loved the color purple, abstract art and modern decor.

I always admired her clothes. I remember one time I happened to be staying at my mom's house at the same time as Violet. In the slumber party atmosphere that followed, we all agreed it was time to get our pajamas on. I threw on whatever mismatched t-shirt and sweats combo I had stuffed in my suitcase, but Violet emerged momentarily in flawlessly pressed and tailored menswear style pajamas with contrast piping.

Even though we've never lived in the same state and I didn't get to see her that often, she was always an inspiration to me of how to bless others through handcraft and sewing.

As a young teen she started sewing clothes for my infant mom, and she continued to do that until my mom was in her twenties. Even after Violet married and left home, she would buy fabric and make a pencil tracing of my mom's foot so she could buy her shoes and make her school clothes for the year.

She had a true servant's heart and was always sewing for others, and I will cherish the handmade pillow cases and blankets she gifted us with over the years. I was just looking at a baby blanket she made for us last night and thought it was machine quilted, but upon closer inspection I realized it was her hand stitching that was so small and regular.


When we gathered with the family for her funeral, I learned that she had been busy passing her love of sewing on to her grandchildren and also her great grandchildren, teaching them to sew stuffed bears for foster kids.

It's the kind of wonderful legacy I hope to leave behind myself. I'll miss you, Aunt Violet. I'll wear some purple today for you.

14 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your aunt, but it sounds like you have some wonderful memories to cherish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing about your Aunt Violet. I am not sure how to explain it but it but this was such a blessing and inspiration to me. It gave me such a warm happy feeling. She lived on and reached me through your sharing. She was a beautiful women even in her later years. Beautiful on the inside and out! I pray God comfort your family during this difficult time. I know she will be greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet and warm person she was - she also looks like you could have loads of fun with her.

    Have a good rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a lovely tribute to your aunt. I loved reading about her. She was certainly a special person in your family's life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Aunt was a Terrific Lady who had a wonderful Long Life. She looked beautiful from beginning to her senior years and it shined from the inside out. What a lovely legacy she left behind...she will never be forgotten. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sorry for your loss. your aunt violet sounds like such a lovely, inspiring woman that lived a very full life! my thoughts are with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet tribute, Larissa. Love to you, your sisters, and especially your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like she was a lovely woman and I'm happy you have great memories of her. You're all in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful person to have in your life. After reading this post about her I've decided I want to be just like that when I am old. And that second picture of her is fantastic, it looks like the kind of life that I want to live. May God be with you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this post - how lovely that we could all celebrate some of your Aunt's life through reading about her wonderful qualities. She will have passed on more than she will ever know to others...... x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Y'all are so sweet. Thanks so much. Yes, we could all do well to imitate her qualities. I'm thankful to have had her in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI Larissa -- I've been following your blog for some time. Those photos are very striking -- I have a memoir transcription business, and I am always looking for my clients to have quality "then and now" photos -- you hit the mark. She was beautiful. So sorry for your family's loss... it is evident Violet passed along some wonderful legacies.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!