Monday, June 4, 2012

feather(?) dress

Girls Style Book, View L, front

Girls Style Book, View L, back detail

I noticed that my two gangly, large footed girls are fast growing out of the patterns in my Japanese Girls Style Book (the gift that just keeps on giving, Robyn). I blame their father, six foot four tower of a man that he is. That lit a sewing fire under me like I haven't had in a long time. I really love that book and it made me sad to think I would miss trying any of it. I traced several of the patterns I haven't sewn yet (check back for those in the near future) and retraced my favorite tunic pattern in the largest size. It is on the cover of the book:


You've seen that tunic pattern sewn up several times already here, here and here. I lengthened it to a dress this time by adding 8 inches to the hem and adjusting the angle of the sides so it wouldn't be too full. I omitted the ruffles on the sleeves.


All materials are from the stash. Top part (and some of applique) is from a thrifted sheet and the bottom is lightweight shot cotton I had leftover from another project. It's such a simple pattern to sew and very comfortable to wear. Actually, I've thought several times of trying to size it up for myself and make a shirt. I might just do that.


I wanted to make some feathers after seeing and loving these and these, so this dress was a good excuse. I didn't have any striped fabric in colors I liked so I pieced them from scraps in the stash and then added embroidery stems and details. After I finished them Thing One said "Mom, I like those leaves on the dress." She's right. They kinda look more like leaves than feathers. *sigh* Let it go, Larissa.

15 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous. In ways, it reminds me of the Oliver + S Ice Cream Dress.

    It also reminds me that I should be sewing my own girls some dresses from that book. I've only traced and sewn one...and soon my kids will have outgrown the patterns also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Bybido, yes, it reminds me quite a bit of the ice cream dress. I've been curious about that pattern. Yes, I recommend tracing more of the patterns while you can. Everything I've sewn (except for one thing which was a sizing issue) has turned out so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to let you know that this dress really caught my eye ~ I'm so loving the color combo !
    well done !

    ReplyDelete
  4. They 'do' look like feathers! Your girls are just too used to your making leaves. ;) Anyway, they're beautiful on that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh i love the leave detail! very pretty!!

    best wishes, doro K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty! And *I* think they look like feathers...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, y'all. I'm glad it looks like feathers to some folks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this, Larissa. So simple and cool, especially that feather. And I'm thrilled that you've enjoyed the book. I continue to live vicariously through your crafting...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Robyn, thanks! Enjoy is an understatement. It's such a good resource. Got your sewing machine set up yet?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saw this etsy seller on Pinterest:
    http://pinterest.com/pin/274930752221642781/

    Is this legit or another klepto at work?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Xenia, hey, thanks. Looks like they took my photo and touched it into their product. I'll contact them, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh hello, I love this! The color blocking is fantastic and the feathers (with the bit of aqua!) are perfection. So so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. pinksuedeshoe, aw, thanks so much! I do really like it. Bonus is that Thing One seems to love wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep, it's set up as of this week. Not too motivated to use it though since it's jammed onto a rental table with two computers, a giant monitor, keyboard, various kid art projects... I want to make new duvet covers for the boys ASAP, though, so maybe I can overcome the bad feng shui and make it work.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!