Girls Style Book, View L, front
Girls Style Book, View L, back detail
I noticed that my two gangly, large footed girls are fast growing out of the patterns in my Japanese Girls Style Book (the gift that just keeps on giving, Robyn). I blame their father, six foot four tower of a man that he is. That lit a sewing fire under me like I haven't had in a long time. I really love that book and it made me sad to think I would miss trying any of it. I traced several of the patterns I haven't sewn yet (check back for those in the near future) and retraced my favorite tunic pattern in the largest size. It is on the cover of the book:
You've seen that tunic pattern sewn up several times already here, here and here. I lengthened it to a dress this time by adding 8 inches to the hem and adjusting the angle of the sides so it wouldn't be too full. I omitted the ruffles on the sleeves.
All materials are from the stash. Top part (and some of applique) is from a thrifted sheet and the bottom is lightweight shot cotton I had leftover from another project. It's such a simple pattern to sew and very comfortable to wear. Actually, I've thought several times of trying to size it up for myself and make a shirt. I might just do that.
I wanted to make some feathers after seeing and loving these and these, so this dress was a good excuse. I didn't have any striped fabric in colors I liked so I pieced them from scraps in the stash and then added embroidery stems and details. After I finished them Thing One said "Mom, I like those leaves on the dress." She's right. They kinda look more like leaves than feathers. *sigh* Let it go, Larissa.