Friday, July 27, 2012

summertime summertime sum-sum-summertime fun


Here at the Holland Academy for Young Ladies we school mostly year round, but we are now in our late summer break and no more book learnin' is happening here until September 1st. That's the theory anyway, but the two children who were moaning about school last week are the same ones who are now voluntarily watching educational videos on the Civil Rights Movement and reading geography books for fun. *snort* These people need to take lessons from my nine year old self about how to let your brain atrophy properly while school's out.

We celebrated the end of this school year with joint birthday art party for the girls and some good friends. If you live in the Peachtree City area of Atlanta, I really recommend Big Arts Studio for art classes, summer camps and art themed parties. We've done all three and always had great experiences there. Elise Lacey (with my kiddos above) is a talented artist, but also has the gift of ably teaching it to others, especially kids.

The artistes got to pick their own theme and rough it in on canvas board with help from Elise, then they all painted up a storm after a few tips. I thought it was really cool that our group was mostly boys but they were just as into it (or more so) than the girls. The ages in our party ranged from 6 to 10, and they all were very proud of their paintings. Elise offered to draw on colored, sparkly or glow-in-the-dark paint pen outlines if the artiste wanted them, which added a big cool factor. Her studio also partners with Rockbridge Adventures next door, so the kids got to tumble, bungee jump and rock climb after they finished painting.

After painting, tumbling, pizza and cupcakes, all the kids took home their masterpieces, along with these art-themed party favors I put together: canvas board, paint tray, paintbrushes and a treat (which the girls said was the main point of a party favor), all wrapped together with baker's twine. The girls wrote the name tags. I was so hepped about these favors, and they were only $3 a piece after the coupons. So much better than a bag full of useless plastic toys that will be thrown away after a couple of days. My opinion.

I forgot to take a photo of their finished homemade party invitations. I put together the wording in Illustrator and printed them on white card stock. I had the girls draw mini-masterpieces on the blank side of the printed invitations, then they added yellow card stock frames I had cut out. I thought it was really sweet how the girls put so much thought into each drawing, keeping in mind the tastes of the invitee.

All in all, a pretty great way to kick off our summer break.


  1. Just out of curiosity, why do you home-school your kids?

  2. Hoppin' Up, during their short number of years at home, my husband and I wanted to soak up as much quality time as we can with our girls and have the flexibility to learn on our own timetable. We know it doesn't work for everyone, but it's a blessing for us and we love it!

  3. Wow, this is a great place to celebrate summer brake... I like the girls paintings.

    Enjoy the coming weeks.

  4. Nina, yes, it was a really enjoyable party. Thanks about the paintings! They were very proud of them. I tried in vain to get Thing 2 to add more paint in the eyes of her dog, but she maintained they were exactly the way she wanted them.

  5. How fun! Art all around, I say!
    I hope your good learners have a wonderful break!


Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!