Sunday, October 7, 2012

what I'm up to

Staring, mostly.


Staring at my new landscaping. Wow. I actually have plants in all the beds now. And I'm using new words like ligustrum, loropetalum, and spirea. I finally just contracted the work out and it was a wonderful experience. My husband and I built this house twelve years ago. And in that time we have done practically nothing beyond maintain the minimum landscaping provided by the builder. We've sporadically planted a few things with varying degrees of success. Mostly failure. So having all the front beds redone this past week was huge for me. Huge. My neighbors must be so glad. My favorite is the little sitting area I now have near the front door. Needs a couple of pumpkins. And Oracio left me a little cushiony dirt bed to plant some pansies. So. I guess I need to do that. Plant some flowers. I can do this.

If you are in the Atlanta metro south, I highly recommend Oracio Magana (404-503-1010). He did a wonderful job for a very affordable price, and I am now pooling more money so I can get his ideas for the back yard too.


Also I'm staring intermittently at the heap of ticking on the floor, trying to will myself to finish the chair cushions. Hasn't happened yet.


Staring is heavily involved in making these too. I stare at my felt stash. I stare at the pieces I cut. I rearrange and then stare some more. Squinting is also part of the process. I'm not exactly sure how that helps, but I do it a lot.

14 comments:

  1. Squinting might mean you need new glasses. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new flowerbed. If I had something that beautiful at my house, I would sit and stare at it a lot, too! Well done! Now to find an Oracio near me. Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Piękne prace. Serdecznie pozdrawiam. Jola

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure the amount of staring is linked to the amount of fatigue, at least in my experience :). Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandma G, I definitely need new glasses, but I've always squinted while creating something. It makes everything slightly out of focus and you lose the details and get more of a big picture thing going with lights and darks. It's weird, I know.

    Mama Pea, I only wish I could send him over. You'd love him!

    Jola, thank goodness for Google Translate! Thank you and hello to you too!

    Katie, I must be fatigued since college. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not weird at all. I figured that's what you were doing. I do it, too. :)

    Maybe it'd help for reading these verification words, ya think? ;(

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi, I was thinking that if you really don't want your chair cushions to be all the same - what about maybe choosing a mixture of black and white prints/plaids/designs of the same tone/value (? not sure either of those is the right word) and using the same piping on all of them to tie them together? anyway.. just a thought. :) btw, I meant to write this on your other post, but I just wanted to mention that I think Kayley(sp?) is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grandma G, I'm not sure anything will help with the ridiculous verification blobs, but you could try it. LOL

    Mary, thanks for puzzling over it for me, but I have already committed to the ticking since I bought 6 yards of it. I have to use it from the sheer guilt. LOL It's just making myself finish a project that I'm no longer on fire about. But I actually cut out the cushions yesterday. So progress has been made.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary, also, thanks for the Kaley love! That's so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I like the front garden. Very nice with the bank to welcome your Mr. at the end of the day ; )

    We just moved and this time we rent the house, this makes me far more leaning back: the garden, well it's nice but not mine, so cutting the grass and adding some flower pots is enough (OK, winter is coming, we'll see what spring is doing to my itching hands).
    Sigh, our garden has just been made perfectly fine last spring, but even as the house and garden have been perfect the place were it was has not been ideal for us. So we waved goodbye and adjust to the new... did I sigh?

    I like hydrangeas a lot, they just grow, no cutting, they like shadow, water every now and then and the blossom looks nice, even when it's not "fresh" anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nina, congratulations on your move! I'm sorry you had to leave your perfect garden behind. That's a bummer. You are right, I wouldn't be tempted to spend a lot of time improving a rental property, but you may not be able to resist come spring. I just love hydrangeas! My dad-in-law just gave me five cuttings and Oracio planted them along the side of the house, which stays in shade for most of the day. Now if I can keep the deer from eating them...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your sitting area is so amazing that I dared to comment you. I regularly read your blog, I enjoy your craft but this bench is a dream!!! As an apartment owner I'll never have one, so I simply can't be quiet. Congrats! Hope you'll have long family tea evenings))

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you should substitute 'contemplating' for staring. It will make you feel better to know you are "gazing upon, viewing mentally, meditating" and not just staring! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ukrainian Girl, that is so sweet! Thank you, I'm really enjoying it! I know an outdoor area is a blessing. We spent years in an apartment so I know how you feel.

    Sew Karen, you are right, contemplating sounds much more productive. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!