Thursday, November 29, 2012

thanksgiving


We had a beautiful day to give thanks in Atlanta, Georgia. It was sunny and mild with the smell of falling leaves in the air. We all gathered at my wonderful in-law's home and feasted on good ol' homemade food. I had this cozy vision of curling up with the kids that were there and reading this book to them while they sat and quietly listened, but um, yeah, that didn't come about. They were too busy whoopin it up outside. Which was also good. *Pop* (that was my vision)


I baked a pie! It looks pretty doesn't it? Too bad it didn't taste so great. I used the Libby's can recipe. May have been operator error, but it was just alright. Kinda bland. I like my pumpkin pie really spicy and strong to offset the criminal amounts of whipped cream I put on top. Robyn just sent me a different recipe (she made her entire Thanksgiving feast from scratch in Rio, including baking/pureeing the pumpkin-like-squash for her pie, and making bechamel sauces for her casseroles because there ain't no such thing as Cream of Mushroom soup in Brazil). I'll try her pie recipe next time, only with canned pumpkin. Nom nom. Note: if you try this recipe Robyn recommends using half the amount of pumpkin it calls for. Yes, half. Trust her, she's a fabulous cook.


We also had a family photo session. (Thanks for wielding the camera, Andy!) You can see it's still a challenge to get winsome photos of my two. That's their cousin in the middle there.

And I can't talk about Thanksgiving without also thanking you guys for supporting my shop! The Etsy sale went very well and I envision a bunch of you busily sewing gifts for your loved ones! There's never enough time in December for me to make everything I want to! But I'm going to try.

7 comments:

  1. Yep - *never* enough time. Don't know if you read her blog, but Ginger just wrote a post about the lack of time for holiday making that really resonated with me. She's so stinkin right. http://www.gingerhendrix.com/wiener_dog_tricks/2012/11/winter-and-how-christmas-would-be-better-placed-in-april.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skooks, Yep. That's an appropriate post. Thanks for sharing. But I don't have the problem of wanting to sit and not make during the winter. My problem is I want to throw over everything else I need to do like get dressed, feed my family and clean the bathrooms in favor of more making time. LOL. It's a mania that comes over me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving, Larissa! And I hope your Christmas holidays are warm and bright. Thank you for all you share with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larissa - I hear you there. If only there weren't all these other responsibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, thanks for the cooking kudos. Now I'm completely paranoid about that "half the pumpkin" bit and feel the need to go whip up another just to be sure. Cute photo of the kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paula Deen's pumpkin pie recipe is also really good. It has half and half and cream cheese in it. I substituted half of the sugar with brown sugar. Really good. I may have adjusted the spices a bit...I like spicy pie too, I don't remember. Your pie looked beautiful though! I succeeded in dropping my pie plate on my kitchen floor, breaking the pie plate which had an entire non-baked pumpkin pie already poured into it! Haha, that was quite the sight. Fortunately I was making three pies and only really needed one, so I still had a spare even. I was thankful for my apron and cheap fake leather Payless flats that day. Sounds like this should have been a blog post! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robyn, relax. One thing I know, anything you make is RIDICULICIOUS.

    Katie, oh my word, an entire unbaked pie all over the place, oh no! Also I'm sad about your pie plate too. Hope it was NOT glass, because it is nigh to impossible to get up all the little slivers that go everywhere! Most of all I'm sorry about your shoes, even if they were Payless. I'll have to check out Paula Deen's pie, thanks. I mean, anything with cream cheese added has to be good. She does not make low cal stuff, does she? Love your subbing in the brown sugar, I'd do that too, it has more flavor.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!