Thursday, December 20, 2012

see you next year


I've had some successes with my new Cameo. We had a rough start, we two, but I think we are coming to an understanding. My blades are faulty, and Silhouette is kindly sending replacements.

I created the card above in Illustrator and then imported it into the Silhouette software. I had to make allowances for my dull blades, and I kept wondering if it was going to be faster just to cut it by hand, but I managed to make several cards with it in less time than I could have cut it myself. I'm only just beginning to understand the possibilities. And I love the way it sounds when it is working. It's exactly like a mad space organist might sound. I've created some other cards with my designs that I'll show next year after the gifting is over.

I have had another fun year with this blog. I want to say a humongous THANK YOU to everyone who supported my designs by patronizing my shops and pinning/linking to my tutorials. I have loved seeing what you make with the patterns and I really really appreciate the feedback. And an especially large THANK YOU to the dwindling numbers of faithful readers who take time to support my ravings by commenting on posts. Your remarks really make my day. Believe me, I appreciate your slogging through the various levels of security to add your thoughts to my posts. It's always a letdown when the spammers outnumber the legitimate commenters. (Airfare to Dubais! CHEAP TOPS! Brake fluid!)


Thing 1 and Thing 2 visiting with Santa Claus, the very one they've both seen every year since they were born. He's awesome. The BEST. I've been wondering when the whole Santa myth is going to tip over for my kids, and it looks like this is the year the oldest knows What's What. She might have had some doubts last year too. But. I thiiiiiiink my youngest still lives the dream. (I do too.) My youngest began penning drafts of her Christmas list in October. I think the version she has in her hand is probably List 5.0, which replaced the wilted and food splattered 4.0 that traveled with her everywhere in a special tin. It's serious business.

Merry Christmas to all. I hope your days are filled with cozy family times, special treats, and the amazing and wondrous love of Christ. I'll see you next year with lots more making and poor time management tips. Kate. I promise. Soon! :-)

Announcement: The Etsy shop will be closed until Dec 30. You can always purchase needed patterns in my Craftsy store, which is open 24/7/365 and provides a link to instantly download your pattern.

14 comments:

  1. Another beautiful card! Makes me wonder if I might need one of those cuttin' machines... one that works right, of course. :) It's tempting!

    My first thought when I saw the pic of your girls - "They've gotten so big!" But I guess kids have a tendency to do that, don't they? They're so cute, too. :) And Santa's beard looks real!

    Have a most blessed Christmas and a wonderful 2013!

    Love,
    GG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love you Larissa! Your blog is daily fare for me. I'll be waiting...patiently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larissa - I ALWAYS read, but don't always pop in for a comment (I blame using a reader) . . . your note on the spammy comments made me laugh. I should forward you some of the most recent ones I've gotten (OVER THE TOP flattery that devolves into a cigarette ad, for instance). Anyway, you're the best . . . love all that you do. Looking forward to even more of your work in the new year. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a blessed new year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Larissa,
    I recently borrowed a cricut expression, it's been fun but I really want to make is little tags and stamp them. I hear the silhouette is amazing
    And that you can cut fancy things to the rob Ryan level...

    I love your blog, it's one of the only ones I follow anymore ( shame). I also have much less reader since the advent of pinterest and very few comments.
    Sometimes it doesn't seem worth keeping it up, but really it makes me improve in all kinds of skills despite the audio silence.

    Merry Christmas!

    Juju

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandma G, thanks! Tell Jessica to bring hers for you to try at Christmas. She sure makes some cool stuff with it. Yes! (sob) the girls are growing way. too. fast. I have threatened to stop feeding them a few times. It speeds by doesn't it? Santa's beard is real and he is so nice. He is the opposite of the grumpy mall santa. I wish you and your family a lovely and bright Christmas! I hope you all get to be together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate! You are so sweet. I smile each time I see the sweet faces of your dolls. Thanks for being patient with me. It takes me FOREVER to develop things. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Skooks, you know I know that about you. Your spam is funnier than mine, I think I'm a little jealous. I'm looking forward to the new year too, I have some stuff to make in mind. My wishes right back atcha for a lovely Christmas and a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Juju, is the cricut expression like the Silhouette? The capability of the Silhouette is amazing, it's just the cutting part that is kind of giving me trouble right now. I'm waiting for the new blades and hoping that will fix it. I've been too afraid to try anything super Rob Ryanish until I get that fixed. Thanks so much for following and I agree, I think Pinterest might have killed the community feeling in blogging. Maybe. It's like blog crack, you get all the eye candy without any of the substance. But I do read yours too and may not comment each time (for shame) but I really enjoy it. I am jealous of your floral skills. :-) So keep it up, for my sake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is easily one of my fave blogs. :) I love your style among other things. Can't wait to read more How To posts.

    Merry Christmas! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many thanks for all you have done for me in the last few months, from designing our amazing adoption shirt (which we have sold well over 100 of!) to helping me find new wonderful things to make in the free time that I only dream about having. Your posts always make me laugh! Hope you guys have a fabulous Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catie, I love your avatar. It always makes me smile!

    Kristin, I love that you sold so many Tshirts! I wear mine a lot and so do my girls. I meant to blog the design here but I'll have to do that in the new year! See you guys soon in H-Vegas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas to you and your family, dear Larissa! Have a great time and enjoy the season!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Merry Christmas! I got my Silhouette for Christmas two years ago, and it is still hit-or-miss. When it works, I'm AMAZED at what it can do. But there are problems often enough that whenever I use it I find myself hovering over it with fingers crossed hoping it doesn't mess up! (granted, many of those are user error, but still...)

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!