Tuesday, March 12, 2013

last minute appliques and dresses


I was hoping assumed the girls had aged out of wanting a special appliqued something to wear to the Magic Kingdom, but no. A week before our recent trip one of them came into the studio and hinted around about what character they might want on their Disney dress, and uh, shouldn't I be starting those since it is only a few days away?

Um. Yes. I should. (ARrgh)



So, Tinkerbell for Thing 1 and a naughty dalmatian for Thing 2 were produced in a rush when I should have been packing. Excuse the purple marking pen that shows on Tink's in-progress closeup. The appliques were adapted from some images I found with Google. They are cotton fabrics backed by Heat N Bond and then machine sewn. I used a black fabric marker to help bring out some details. Tink is also embellished with seed beads, sequins and pearls to make her look all pixie dusty.


Here are the finished dresses in action as the girls meet Merida. I had the black and pink polka dot fabrics in the stash. I would have chosen something besides pink (like green or blue) to go with Tinkerbell, but had no time to shop for fabric, so I just closed my eyes and did it. If I had to do it again on the pink, I think I'd just outline her in white embroidery instead of doing an applique.


The simple dress pattern I used was modified from Simplicity 3743, which was a super-cheap pattern I purchased from Wal-Mart when the girls were toddlers. And when I say modified, I mean shredded. Almost all the youth patterns I own are sized too short and two wide for my girls. So I had to take away about an inch from the pattern on the fold, add about half an inch to the sleeve length and then add 12 inches and a curved hem to make it a dress length. I also don't use the recommended elastic lengths stated in the pattern, I use an inch or two less.

The girls enjoyed wearing them to worship on Sunday and then the Magic Kingdom on Tuesday, so it worked out great. I had to stay up late to pack and was generally frazzled, but really, when am I not frazzled before a trip?

Speaking of last minute and frazzled, here is a retrospective of other Disney outfits I've made the girls. Read more here if you like.



17 comments:

  1. Super CUTE!! You do work well under pressure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandma G, thanks so much. One day I will know if I work well under no pressure.

      Delete
    2. I won't hold my breath. ;) I haven't found it out myself yet. :)

      Delete
  2. You're my hero, Larissa. Even though I can't sew (aside from reuniting shirts with their lost buttons), this reminds me to find creative ways to make special occasions more memorable for my family. I just LOVE how the girls came to you asking for dresses -- AND you delivered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly, you are too kind. I actually come out of it feeling less like a hero and more like a chump for not standing my ground the week before our trip. But the girls know very well that requesting handmade things is my weakness. LOL

      Delete
  3. These dresses are adorable!! Yo're such an inspiration when it comes to crafting! I want to go to the basement now and sew! haha. Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah Lu, thanks so much! And I apologize in advance for whatever doesn't get done because you are in the basement sewing. :-)

      Delete
  4. Ahhhhh, the Rapunzel Dress is great! Just like her drawings, you are a star!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Nina, thanks so much! That dress was a PAIN to make. I was so glad when I sewed down that last lantern piece. What was I thinking?

      Delete
  5. LOVE,love,love your Disney dresses. I was just at DL this week and didn't see anything as cute...I also have this Simplicity pattern. I only wish that I was as creative and imaginative as you in using it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so amazing! I love the dalmatian!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic dresses!I love the Pluto,Minnie & Mickey appliques.Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goodness Rapunzel dress is divine!!!
    and naughty Dalmatian - im in love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bo, thanks a lot! I think my favorite is the dalmatian too.

      Delete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!