Tuesday, June 4, 2013

printer's tray


There is a constant stream of nature flotsam coming in the house from my two junior explorers. It's nice to have a place to put them for display (which keeps me from finding rocks, twigs and soggy leaves in the washer).


I found this printer's tray for sale on etsy and when it arrived a leaned it against the wall so I could find a good place for it. And there it sits still. I keep meaning to paint it white so the bits and pieces will stand out more. #storyofmylife

You can see a wide variety of these old typographer's drawers being repurposed as jewelry displays and collectors cases on Google or Pinterest. Especially cool is this coffee table by Fred Brandes:

Photo by Fred Brandes

6 comments:

  1. i love that idea! addie has quite a rock collection, might be nice to have somewhere to put it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin. They will love having a place to put them.

      Delete
  2. I bought a printer's box 20 years ago, when my husband and I got married. It is our vacation box. Whenever we go someplace, we pick up a little trinket that reminds us of that place. It hangs in our kitchen, I love to look at it and remember all of the good times we have had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea, cropmom! I pick up bits and pieces wherever we go on nature hikes, so I need one for myself to display all my seashells, pine comes, coral, rocks and interesting sticks. I guess I see where the girls get it now.

      Delete
  3. I used to have two of those. I got rid of one. I still have the other. I have so many trinkets from travel dating back to high school. I've had to cull the herd over the years. Now, it is leaning on a wall. Eventually, I will get it back up again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to do this forever. My kids have been inheriting bits and pieces of their great grandma's rock/shell/coral collection for the last few years and I would love to be able to display them in an interesting way. I don't antique, but I may have to get out there just to find one of these trays. Shipping on ebay/etsy feels a bit prohibitive.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!