Friday, August 9, 2013

birthday mixtapes


Our traditional birthday mix of handpicked songs that do not make the mommy want to poke her eye out with a stick. I was a bit tardy with Thing 2's CD. It was due in May. It's only August.

The mix for the new(ish) nine year old:

She's pretty into flamenco right now so I put in two of those (track 5 and 11). A word about the Song for Ten. I heard it on Doctor Who, Series 2, Episode 1 and fell in love. (It's the showy song that is playing while David Tennant is choosing his signature skinny suit and tie from the multilevel TARDIS wardrobe in the ending scenes.) The version available on iTunes = lame rerecording that sounds really Lawrence Welk. Supa shout out to my friend Tad for helping me to find the real one on YouTube and convert it to MP3.  *snapping fingers and pointing to awesome person*

Aaaand the mix for the new eleven year old: 

We've been listening to a lot of the 80s on 8 station, so she's kinda into some of that. I first heard Julee Cruise's creepy ethereal songs on Twin Peaks circa 1989 and immediately went out and bought the cassette tape. I still love them.

12 comments:

  1. A few things: 1) I need to start doing this for my kids. I love this idea so much. (I may have said this the last time you made these for your girls, but then I forgot and I need to write it down so I don't forget again.) 2) My husband and I sing a modified version of "She Blinded Me with Science" to our 1 year old about her dancing. It is bizarre and she loves it. 3) TWIN PEAKS! No one I know has watched this series but me. Still gives me the heebs when I think about the episode where Laura's killer was revealed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) I recommend it. It's a great excuse to search for awesome tunes. 2) I would like to hear that. Submit video, dancing included. 3) Dude, I was so into that show. So into it. But can't remember that key episode AT ALL. LOL. The whole time you are burning to know who did it and now I couldn't tell you. I can tell you who shot JR though.

      Delete
  2. I love your artwork! I'm assuming it says Thing 1 and Thing 2 under those pretty tapes. ;) Someday I want to know their real names. I bet they're lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thing 1 and Thing 2 are their actual names, didn't you know? :-) Now that you know their secret identities I'll send over the confidentiality affidavits.

      Delete
  3. Julee Cruise is soooo creepy. We are watching Twin Peaks again so her songs are often stuck in my head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, I tried to watch it again but just couldn't revisit it. It wasn't the same. I'll have to let it live on in my head just the way it was in college.

      Delete
  4. I just LOVE that you do this! :) I want to do it too, but I always forget! Such a great idea and great selections, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catie! I kinda forgot to do the one for the youngest, that's why it was so late. They really love them so that is my motivator!

      Delete
  5. I think it's so neat that you do this, and I love your illustrations on the CD. I wish I could get myself to do this for my daughter. I don't think I know enough music to do it. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mama Pea! I love to draw on their CDs. I don't do a lot of drawing anymore so it takes me back. No worries about finding the music, I've done all the legwork for you. LOL

      Delete
  6. i think you should be nominated for a best mom award - your girls are so very lucky!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie, I'm going to show this comment to my children immediately.

      Delete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!