Friday, October 11, 2013

fabric is a fine souvenir


We went on a family trip to New Smyrna Beach recently. My husband insisted on taking my sister and me to a quilt shop in St. Augustine while we were there. You know he feels pretty strongly about buying as much fabric as one can, so I reluctantly made these purchases. But only so he could feel good about things. I'm a giver. My sister also obliged him by purchasing a few items. Just to be polite.

We really loved our trip, despite some rainy days. It didn't slow the girls down one bit. Here's my youngest who ran up from the surf and stopped in front of my beach chair at some point. She said, 'Mommy, there's something in my swim pants.' So here she is about to drop her shorts to investigate.


{Please insert screaming mimi full on FREAK OUT from the youngest here. Make it a good one. Really reach deep.}


And here was the source of the freak out. Yes, she's a city girl. I'm sorry to say Mr. Fishy didn't survive the extraction from her suit. Poor little fish. We hardly knew ye. He was probably very confused about how he ended up in someone's swim bottoms. I'm glad to say that after Thing 2's system wide kernel panic was over she was happy to get right back in the water. We had a small, private burial service for Mr. Fishy.


It was a lovely week of eating much sea creatures, splashing, walking and relaxing. We were sad to leave.

13 comments:

  1. can i please say every single part of this post made my day :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, thanks! Glad to share the smile.

      Delete
  2. St. Augustine. Such a beautiful spot. Haven't been there in years, but I have family close by! Looks like such a fun trip. Thanks for the laugh this morning and so sweet of you to oblige your husband and buy some fabric. Nice choices by the way :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, it really is a pretty little town. I had a nice big shake shingled cottage picked out, right on the water. If you dream, dream big. And I love my fabric too! So colorful. I'm really glad he made me buy it. Ha ha.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the giggles... a day brightener, indeed! Glad you got away and had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOLA, COMO STAS... INTERESANTE TU BLOG, ME ENCANTO..¡ TE FELICITO.
    AHORA TE SIGO, TE INVITO A QUE ME VISITES Y VEAS LO QUE YO HAGO, SERAS BIENVENIDA SIEMPRE..
    BESOS, ABRAZOS Y BENDICIONES.
    ZHOBEYDA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post gave me quite a chuckle. I so appreciate your sacrifice for your husband's happiness at the fabric store. So many wives these days are selfish with little regard for their husband's needs. Thanks for your wonderful example. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, indeed. So few wives purchase enough fabric to make their husbands feel happy. I intend to lead by example.

      Delete
  6. Yay for family vacay!! Glad you had fun and enjoyed some new experiences. ;) Love seeing how the girls are growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Jessica! Thanks! Haha. Yours are getting so big too. Where did the time go?

      Delete
  7. You are hilarious. I love the story about the fish! And I love your fabric purchases! That selvage on that first fabric is amazing! (I love selvages!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi
    My name is Amy and I'm with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about New Smyrna Beach to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at amy(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!