Friday, January 31, 2014

what I'm up to


I am making stuff, just nothing finished to show yet.  We've been housebound since Tuesday (Atlanta Snowpocalypse of 2014) so it was nice to venture into town this morning and go get my Jazz on. (Oh, it's OK. Go ahead and laugh. There were no leg warmers present though.) Still some patches of ice on the roads, but it's mostly clear. But my poor Thing 1 busted right on her behindy on a stealth patch of ice on the way inside, bless her. You know how fast that happens. Swoop! went her legs and bang! right on her tuckus. Ouch.

Anyhoo, I couldn't resist purchasing this beautiful January fat quarter bunch recently from Anna Maria Horner's shop and now I must make a quilt. Yes, yes, why must you point out that I've said this many times before? But I've actually started piecing this together and we are talking REALLY simple here, basically I cut each fat quarter in half and sewed contrasting pieces together. I will add some strips of white and be done with it. I'd like it to be a living room throw. I'm determined to actually follow through with this so I can build my confidence. I have a walking foot and a vision.


I also made another Wiksten tank, only this one is tunic length. The fabric is Nani IRO double gauze, which is normally great, but unfortunately it sticks like glue to my leggings and tucks itself in my crotch as I walk. Not a good look. So now I am trying to put in a slinky lining after the fact, which is never a good scenario. Still puzzling over that one. I tried to get away with a partial lining but it pulls in an unattractive way, so I may just have to do a full lining and tack it to the shoulder and underarm seams. So now I need to purchase more lining fabric. Ergh.


I'm also working on the Partridge and Pear pattern and testing it with Sulky Sticky Fabri-Solvy (yes, that's quite a mouthful) thanks to designer Wendi Gratz and her helpful tips. What a fabulous way to do embroidery with no tracing required. This could be life changing.

19 comments:

  1. Glad your weather mess is getting cleared up and you can get out again. I've thought of you whenever I saw more about it on the news... which was a lot! :) Hey, someone local that we know was in Atlanta at the time... he was impressed. ;)

    That stabilizer looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a big deal when we get ice here, and this time was worse because everyone tried to go home at the same time! haha. The coverage was ad nauseam, sorry about that. I turned it off. What was he impressed with? The pandemonium?

      Delete
    2. I didn't talk to him in person, only heard our radio DJ (you know... the one who has 3 "Thing" boys ;) ) say that this person had said that 'nothing' was happening there, as in everything was at a standstill.

      Delete
  2. Poor Thing 1! That can be hard on the bottom and the pride.
    Love all the teasers. Looking forward to the pattern and the whole no tracing for embroidery info. Definitely one of those bright light from above with a chorus singing in the background things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her bottom is pretty sore. She's sitting on an ice pack right now, which has a certain irony. Yes, there will be more about the magical embroidery stuff. The most annoying aspect is soaking it off, but it's not a deal breaker.

      Delete
  3. Ooohh! So excited for the partridge/pear tree ornament pattern. Good call on the AMH quilt too. Her fabric is so beautiful I kind of feel like cutting it up too small ruins the effect anyway. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope it works out like that, Skooks. I am nervous I wont like it if I don't do smaller piecing. These are really big pieces! Thanks about the partridge/pear excitement! I'm hepped too.

      Delete
  4. Just cut the tunic shorter into a top and be done with it! It was not meant to be! Love Anna Maria Horner (especially her voile). You did a marvelous job on the first top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You make a lot of sense, muximaus. I may end up doing that in the end, but it hasn't beaten me yet! Lining fabric is cheap, but double gauze is not.

      Delete
  5. Shame about the tunic. How about pulling on a short half slip and calling it done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already tried it, Robyn. The front is so curved there is no way to wear a long enough half slip without it showing on the sides. It still walked up my thighs with every step.

      Delete
    2. Bummer. Good luck! Can't wait to see your quilt. :)

      Delete
  6. Have you thought about making a "tunic" length camisole in a silky fabric instead of having to alter the tunic itself. The camisole could be worn under other tunics as well. Just a thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea, Rita, but the hem is so curved on the tunic I would have to make the camisole with the same pattern for it to do any good, and I'd probably just tack it inside it and be done with it.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the heads up on the nano iro; I was thinking of getting some to make...well, something with, so good to know. So far I've only made one item of clothing, a tunic, and one quilt, but have big plans! Looking froward to seeing the quilt. Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, hey! Nani IRO is fabulous fabric, just maybe not to wear over leggings. Haha. You've made one more quilt than I have. :-)

      Delete
  8. I made a skirt at Sewing Summit with the exact same fabric and guess what? I had to put in a lining too after the fact!
    Have you thought of making a silk tunic and wearing them layered? Very chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Juju,
      That's a great idea! I ended up adding a lining and tacking it in at the shoulders, underarms, and sides. It works just fine, much nicer drape with a lining! Love to see your skirt. Did you blog it?

      Delete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!