Here's the front.
And the back.
I drafted a quick pattern for this top when I was supposed to be packing for Brazil. That's how I deal with packing panic. I make new stuff that I don't have time to make. Also I order hail mary clothes online. It's a disorder. Anyway. It's made from two different Amy Butler voiles. Very light and airy fabric.
This is the much-loved smock pattern that I used as a base for my top. It's the one I've made the most from Girls Style Book, seen here, here, here and here on my girls. Nowadays my gargantugirls are out of the size range of this book (sob).
The construction of the top is pretty simple, a yoke on top and a gathered bottom. The sleeve openings flow directly into the side seams. I deleted the ruffles, pockets, and bias ties for mine. I toyed briefly with the idea of adding more grown-up looking square pockets but then realized I was running too short on time (yes, this realization does come eventually) and I needed to get on with it.
The front and back yoke.
The skirt, for lack of a better word.
Turns out I could have just used one piece for the yoke back instead of two because the neck opening was large enough to slip over my head without a closure. Oh well. This one has a snap.
I finished the neck with bias binding turned to the inside.
I wonder if it would be cute to make the front hem like a frowny face instead of a smiley face (like this). Hmm. I also wonder if making the sleeves come away from the side seam a bit instead of flowing right in would make the fit more lady-friendly. Now that I have a base pattern I can try other things. I just found this cute top tutorial also by Cotton + Curls; looks like a similar shape and very cute on her!