Monday, May 12, 2014

my youngest is not ten


Not possible. She was born in 2004 though...I know because I was there. But she is still not ten, nope nope nope. However, we did throw her a birthday party.


She is so silly. I wonder where she gets that from?

She requested an ice cream sandwich cake for her party, so this year I tried this recipe (only with neopolitan sandwiches and fresh whipped cream instead of Cool Whip). And Great Scott, is it SWEEET. A little goes a very long way. I actually sprinkled a little salt on my slice and that helped (OK, it was my second late-night-nobody-else-up piece). It sure slices up pretty though.


Here's the traditional momma-made skirt and store-bought tank outfit. She loves it! Yay. The skirt is another Flirting The Issue skirt, which is a great free pattern from AMH. You have to read the bit about a young Anna wearing a skirt around her neck and trying to get away with it. Very funny.



The more I sew channel elastic the better I like it than shirring. It's less scary/iffy to me. I made a couple minor mods in the pattern for my birfday girl:


1) I used three channels of elastic instead of four 
2) I made the rectangles of fabric a few inches wider than the formula because she likes volume (so do I)


Isn't this pretty fabric? Perfect for a summertime skirt. It ain't cheap, but was on sale 40% off at Joann and also got my 15% teacher discount, ka-ching! (It applies to home school teachers too, so get your card!)


Anna's pattern is nice because it has a built-in lining, and this fabric needed a lining anyway. I just used some white muslin I had in the stash.



And the traditional mixtape. They both look forward to their birthday mixtapes every year, so I enjoy doing it, even if I was up until one a.m. putting it together the night before. I think it's a tolerable mix of sugary MLP/Disney songs, songs from my youth and newish alternative rock songs that were chosen more for their infectious beats and melodies than for the themes.


But as I think of it, they do match her dramanality quite a bit.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! If your Thing 2 turned 10, that means my Thing 2 is going to turn 10 soon. Does that mean that we are getting old? Say it ain't so!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Hanging head) Yes, Traci, I'm afraid it does mean we are old. But not SUPER old. Nope nope nope.

      Delete
  2. I think I say this each time you post these--but I LOVE your mixtapes gifts!! I. am. doing. it. this. year. PERIOD.

    Happy birthday to your sweet one! :) And thanks for the heads up on the Joann's discount!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Catie! Yes, do one this year. It will be fun just to go through your music stash and stroll down memory lane. You are welcome re: Joann. Enjoy your discount!

      Delete
  3. Love your mix tapes. Lucky for me, my 2004 baby., and my oldest, doesn't turn 10 until December. So crazy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it IS crazy! You still have a few months to convince your kid to stay nine. Good luck!

      Delete
  4. She is so pretty! And alos lucky he rmom makes such lovely clothing for her! :) I loved that skirt fabrics too, also perfect for summer. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Hindustanka! Have a lovely day yourself.

      Delete
  5. so cute! I thought the twins were the youngest!

    juju

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour, Juju, thanks! My two youngns are not twins but they are frequently mistaken for twins, much to Thing 1's chagrin. They are 21 months apart!

      Delete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!