Thursday, July 3, 2014

hi-lo wiksten tank mod


Check it. Yet another Wiksten tank, this time with a hi-lo hemline. I found this lightweight summery fabric at Joann and couldn't resist.

Here is a headless model shot. Taken from the most slimming angle, of course. (I had just finished ironing it and was about to go photograph this when my oldest requested some help on math. I draped the tank carefully down on the couch while I helped her. Turned back around after a few minutes to pick it up and had to drag it out from under my youngest who was sitting on it. I ask you.)


Nowadays whenever I look through bolts of fabric I have a background brain filter constantly running which evaluates if they would make a cute tank top. I'm outta control with the tank top making but totally justified because they are on near constant rotation in my wardrobe. My new uniform. I love wearing them! (I feel I should add a mea culpa shout out to Robyn here because years ago when she suggested the Wiksten tank pattern I openly scoffed at it and said what's the big deal with woven tank tops. Heh heh. My bad.)


This fabric completely turned my head. It's a woven cotton but pretty loosely woven and sheer. It frayed so easily I used a solid lawn I had on hand to make the bias binding. I should have lined the tank while I was making it. Now I need to make a silky camisole to wear under it and other tanks. I am astounded to find I have only one silky camisole in my drawer, and it's about 40 years old and two sizes too large. How did I let my unmentionables lapse like this? I need to rectify this problem. I really do not like the new style of camisole in the stores. I hate the sausage casing fit and the grabby microfiber texture. I want loose and silky with thin straps. Should be easy to make. I've been inspired by looking at Angry Chicken posts about DIY oondervare.


The hi-lo hem. It was a very easy mod. You can do eet! I changed the front shirttail hem to a simple frowny face curve that was shorter in the middle than the original hem by about 3 inches. Then I changed the back hem to match at the sides only this time as a smiley face.


Keep in mind the french seams may make your sides uneven at the side seams after they are sewn. No big deal. I ended up trimming a little from the back to even up the sides. The back is about as long as the original shirttail hem.


Check out my awesome stripe matching at the side seams. I usually fail so badly at this but I put some effort into it and am pleased it came out so close.

Mr Matchy Stripey will now join the ever-growing section of handmade tanks in my closet. I'm certainly getting my money's worth from this pattern.

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! Excellent job on the stripe matching... makes my eyes happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! Thanks a lot for the idea! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!