Sunday, December 28, 2014

handmade gifts 2014: replacement doll for audrey


Meet Amelia. A little bird told me a few months ago that a certain puffy green doll was lost in the move and that there was sadness. Well, we can't have that. While I couldn't remake the doll to match Miss MIA, I did make her a red-haired sister. Blue, flowery and not as poofy puffy. I was excited about this at first but I hope that doesn't create more sadness. You never know with these things. There may be green terry cloth nostalgia to overcome.


You can't really tell but she also has pink streaks in her hair. I thought Audrey might like that. I tell ya, I made a royal hash of the hair at first and you can probably tell if you look closely (so don't look closely). It has been six years since I made the first doll and the instructions are a study in brevity. They don't include tips for the long hair so I have no idea how I did it for the first doll. This doll does have hair, and it is sewn on in places, so I'm calling it a win.

If you make the Martha doll, be sure to use very stretchy jersey knit for the head, hands and feet. Also it's very helpful to sew a basting circle on the feet and hand squares to use for gathering, draw them up, tie them off, and then stuff them, not the other way round. I didn't use batting to fill them as instructed, I used polyfil for the whole doll.

I think the pocket on the original doll was intended for baby teeth. This doll has a wee little pocket too, which is still good for teeth or whatever tiny treasure needs to hide there. Maybe small, folded, very secret lists.
 

5 comments:

  1. Aw, that little dolly made me smile! So cute! I love her pretty "jumpsuit"... probably more age-appropriate now than the original, too. I bet she'll be loved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandma G, that was my thinking on the matter. Robyn sent a picture of her daughter with the doll and she looked happy, so I'm good. :-)

      Delete
  2. Love this doll and especially the hair! Hair is so hard to do on a doll like this, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ain't kidding, Jeannie and Eldy. I was clueless at first how to manage it and there was a bad decision made with some fabric glue, but it turned out ok. Haha!

      Delete
  3. She's already loved, right out of the box. Audrey and I were so touched by this gift. Thank you again so much for remembering my girl! Even my mom got a little choked up when she saw how happy Amelia made Audrey and I. :) She said, "Larissa is such a special lady." Truth.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!