Friday, June 12, 2015

painted my brown brick hearth white, check


For so long I've wanted to do this. Why O why did I wait?


I um. Didn't mention it directly to my husband just before I did it. I totally did mention it several months ago to him and received a noncommittal noise in reply that completely might have meant 'Yes, please do this, it will be gorgeous' or may have possibly meant 'Over my dead body'.

I got the bee in my bonnet a few weeks ago to follow through so I went right out to the home improvement store and got a quart of stain blocking paint/primer in one, matte finish. Thanks, Mr Paintguy. I actually needed every bit of that quart because the brick and mortar are so porous.



Here's a before shot and also an action shot taken by my daughter. I didn't even think about taking a before shot until she mentioned it right before I started in on the mortar. She'll make a better blogger than I. The brick is the same brick as the accent on the outside of our house and just looked so dated in my light/bright room. It was a light sucker, especially with that black gas stove in the middle.


And yes, I managed to get paint in my hair. The painting took a few hours because I'm super picky about getting very accurate edges.


I wanted pretty full coverage but I didn't get the brush in every nook and cranny. Before I started painting, I considered just hitting the high spots of the brick with a roller instead of a brush to create a more distressed, patchy look. I was afraid it would be too busy in the small space. I wonder if I could go back with sandpaper and knock off some of the paint in random spots? I'm kind of enjoying the white out right now though.

When Michael got home I was in our bedroom. I heard him pause in the family room. I squinched my eyes and called "Don't you LOVE it?? I think it's GORGEOUS." (go for the over-the-top sale)
Short pause.
Then he said, very kindly, as he came into the bedroom and loosened his tie, "I don't love it yet."

He later mentioned that he was going to get used to it quicker than he thought. (For the win!) Now to get rid of the man-chair.

8 comments:

  1. I have a really orangey fireplace that I'm not fond of. I think I want to grey wash it, but I'm so nervous about it. Your's turned out so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Little Ella Lu. Grey wash...sounds really pretty! What could go wrong? It is scary when you think you can't take the paint off. But you could totally paint over the grey with a different color if you didn't love it. Send photos. :-)

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous transformation!! Be very careful with that man-chair, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Grandma G, that man-chair recliner is going to be the death of me. And the brown velour couch. ARgh.

      Delete
  3. *I* love it! beautiful and bright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Thanks, Yarn Miracle! I'm loving it too.

      Delete
  4. How does the white look after a few fires??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Crafty Girl. It's the beginning of summer here, so the fires won't happen for a few months. But my theory is that it will stay nice and white. It's a gas stove made to look like logs, so there is no tree resin in the smoke. We've had 10 years worth of fires and never had any soot gather on the unpainted brick or on the underside of the mantel.

      Delete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you have a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'subscribe by email' link as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!